Reason #679

If I wasn't getting sick so often, I don't know what I'd do with myself. Unfortunately, my co-workers are going to have to endure my sneezes and nose blowing because I have one sick day left. One day to use sparingly. It takes forever to build those suckers up, and I've almost depleted them all this year.

Last night was a rough night. Scout had a late night snack, thus prompting her to get up at 2:00AM and 5:00AM to go out. Aaron's work phone rang about 5:45AM, and his alarm started going off at 6:30AM. Needless to say, getting out of bed was not an easy task. It's days like today and I am extra thankful for my new job. It's hard to look chipper when you've got suitcases under your eyes.

I love Scout, you know that. I'd do anything for her. And although I don't like waking up to take her out, I do it anyway. The first time, not such a big deal. The second time, I am not so thrilled. And so I find myself really frustrated at this inconvenience. Why can't she just hold it? Doesn't she see I am sleeping? I don't get to stay home all day and nap like she does, so the 7 hours I get are really precious. I make futile attempts to ignore her and make her lay back down. She'll lay down, but she whines and growls the entire time, and so the only way we can both get what we want is to get up and go out.

I found myself being a little rough with her on trip #2 outside this morning. I lose my patience pretty quickly when it comes to interrupted sleep. Of course, it's not like she has any other way to go to outside. I suppose I can't blame her. But I thought about how often I am like Scout and I come before the Lord with repetitive and urgent requests. And if He doesn't answer right away, I sit and whine for a bit, too, just to let Him know I need that request taken care of right now. I don't think about timing or really anything else besides myself during these moments. I consider my needs, try to sell them as a priority, and I expect a quick response.

Annoying, isn't it? We hate it when it's done to us yet we have no problem doing it ourselves. And as I thought about my attitude this morning, I thought about how the Lord is never rough with me. Regardless of the timing or the repetitive nature of my request, He is patient with me. He may not answer right then, but He doesn't treat me any different. He never throws His hands up and says "Ugh, you are driving me insane. Fine! Here! Are you happy now?" No, He continues to practice gentleness with me as I learn to be patient through my whines. And when He does answer that request, He does so lovingly. Sure, my requests are probably inconvenient a majority of the time, but He still meets my needs regardless of what else He is doing at the time. He makes sure to let me know that I am loved, even if I've been a little persistent. And when I look at it that way, I realize I have a lot to learn when it comes to patiently and lovingly meeting inconvenient requests.

Thank you for your love, Lord. Even when I am persistent and whiney and adamant, you still love me. Even though you have a million other things going on, thank you for taking the time to meet my needs. Thank you for always being gentle with me. For holding me with such tenderness as we either wait out or act out whatever it is I've been requesting. Thank you for never being rough with me but for always making me feel like a priority... no matter what time it is!

#679 - Because of His constant gentleness and patience with me.

"Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls." - Matthew 11:28-29

Comments

Popular Posts