Reason #706

Another year has come and gone, and what a year it has been. A year of changes and challenges, of growing and refining. This will definitely be a year that goes down in the books. Of course, it has been packed full of good memories. Obviously, topping the list would be getting married. That was definitely the best and most memorable moment of the year...and of my life. But really, I've gotten to experience so many new things this year that it's hard to believe I could squeeze so much into 12 months. All I can say is that 2014 has big shoes to fill.

I wrote the other night about making a list for 2014. Tomorrow is New Year's Day so we'll all be busy with our resolutions. I've pretty much resolved to not making any resolutions because I find that I rarely stick to them. I can tell you now that my diet isn't going to change and I am not going to start working out more... or probably at all. I do, however, have a few things I want to accomplish this next year. Really, these aren't so much resolutions as they are plans. Things I've been praying about and hoping to do for quite some time, and so I can't wait to get this year started.

I remember when I started my blog two January's ago. I remember wishing I could just go back. Go back in time. Rewind. Have a re-do. That wasn't a possibility, not even for a moment. And so each night, my blog was exactly that. The opportunity to go back. To reflect and to think about life, about the past, about myself, and to let God teach me as I tried to let it go. Most nights it hurt, but it was the good kind of hurt. That uncomfortable release, you know. Kind of like getting a splinter pulled out of your finger. It hurts when you're trying to get a hold of it, but once you've pulled the splinter out, you feel a million times better. Every night was a splinter pulling. I so desperately wanted this to be the catalyst in my healing process. I wanted to change my outlook from gloom and doom to thanksgiving and gratitude. And so each day I would sit down wondering what I would write about. Some days I knew right away and some days I just started typing. Never did I imagine I'd be writing about the things I've written about. I didn't expect a fraction of all of the amazing things God has done since I started this challenge two years ago.

Today, I realized that before this new year is up I will have reached my 1000 Reasons. Truthfully, that kind of makes me sad. Yet, in a way, it excites me. Because I just wonder what God will do this year. I wonder what unexpected blessings He'll pour out. I am anxious to see what He teaches me and how He challenges me. In all honesty, I have never really looked as forward to a new year as I am looking forward to 2014. Because over the past few years, God has been teaching me and showing me the beauty of moving forward and not living in the past. The joy in anticipating what's to come rather than regretting what was done. And, if you ask me, I think that's the best way to begin a new year.

Maybe 2013 didn't go like you wanted. That's okay. The good news is that you've made it to 2014. Who knows, 2014 may very well be your year. Even if it's not, keep looking forward. Because God has promised us a hopeful and prosperous future, but the only way we can get there is to keep moving forward. Don't wade in the past regrets and mistakes, and don't doubt His ability to do something beautiful with your brokenness. Just be grateful you've made it from one year to the next, and praise Him for the fact that He has good things in store for you.

2013, you've been a good year. The memories are sweet, and the time was precious. I don't know how it could get any better, but I don't doubt that it can. And so here's to a new year of highly anticipated, yet, most likely, very unexpected blessings. Thank you, Lord, for yet another year.

#706 - For the blessings of the past year and the anticipation of a new year!

"Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom. One generation commends your works to another; they tell of your mighty acts. They speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty— and I will meditate on your wonderful works. They tell of the power of your awesome works— and I will proclaim your great deeds. They celebrate your abundant goodness and joyfully sing of your righteousness." - Psalm 145:3-7

Comments

Popular Posts