Reason #687

I read this little article the other day about mothers and daughters. It said something along the lines of "20 Ways You Know Your Mom is Your Best Friend." I read through the reasons, and I could have put a check mark beside each one. Of course, I didn't need an article to confirm our friendship. That relationships has been obvious from the start. She was my first friend and has been my longest standing friend, and for that I am grateful.

It's nice to get past that point in life where you really get to be friends with your parents. Obviously, they are always your parents, but there comes a time in life when you're both adults (even though you'll always be their baby), and so your relationship changes. No longer are they the ultimate authority in your life. They aren't taking care of you or providing for you any more. You're the one calling all the shots and doing all the work, but parenting doesn't stop when children become adults. Because no matter how old you get, you still need advice. Your parents are always a step ahead of you and can give you that advice, too. After all, no matter how old you get, they still have your best interest at heart. And so I am really grateful to have a mom I have always been able to go to for advice. Whether it be marriage advice, work advice, cooking advice, or cleaning advice, she always has a wise and reliable answer for me. And even if she weren't my mom, well, I'd be sure to pick her as my friend and mentor because she's the best at being both of those things.

Tonight, my mom and I got together to whip up some Christmas goodies. Aaron had a full evening scheduled, so we decided it would be a good time to try out this cute recipe she stumbled across. An hour and a half later, we had a finished product that we were pleased with. And although I was really glad our goodies were a success, I was most glad that I got to spend the evening with my mom. I enjoy her company, our conversations, and getting to work on crafts together. Because when you get married, your family dynamics change as does the way you spend your time. You've clung to this group of people for so many years and then one day everything changes. Now, you're starting your own family and that one comes first. Truthfully, I fretted the most about family relationships when Aaron and I started dating. Parents can really make your break your relationships, and so I was bound and determined that we were all going to have good relationships. I didn't want to severe the relationship with my parents or Aaron's parents. My goal was to be one big, happy family, and while that was a lofty goal to set, the Lord was so good to answer my prayers and give me exactly that.

You see, that's the beautiful thing about family. They are always there. No matter what changes you go through, family endures. You adjust, you get used to the new norm, and you keep moving forward. Because life changes, circumstances change, but the people with whom you share your blood never do. And so although my family has changed, I am grateful that no matter how old I get, my parents will always be my parents. Sure, we'll probably keep adding people here and there throughout the years, and we'll make our adjustments as needed, but we'll still be family no matter what. Busy seasons, dry seasons, abundance, or drought, we stick together because we go way back, and you don't get all these years of beautiful history if you never make a point to live it.

#687 - Because He has given us years of beautiful family history that just keeps going!

"But I lavish unfailing love for a thousand generations on those who love me and obey my commands." - Exodus 20:6

Comments

Popular Posts