Reason #686

I got called in from the reserves today. The front line personnel at work were going through training, and they were short handed. I ended up day filling in, and it was a crazy day to say the least. The sun actually stayed out all day, and it was twice as warm as it was yesterday, so everyone was out running their errands. I didn't have a moment of downtime, and I was more than ready to be done at the end of the day. I had wondered how I would feel being back in my old space, and I can say that although I was glad I could help out, I didn't feel any regret about leaving that spot for my new position.

After I finally left work, Aaron and I went out to celebrate our seventh monthiversary. Crazy to think that 7 months ago we had just become man and wife. Anyway, we went to dinner and then took a drive to look at Christmas lights. It was easy and relaxing, and I thought back to last year when we did the same thing. The only difference is last year, that event was leading up to the proposal versus being celebratory, like this year. As we drove home, I thought about how grateful I was that we were getting to look at lights as the Davis' this year rather than any other way.

Sometimes we walk through life with so many regrets. We regret choices we made in our earlier years, things we can't change. We regret relationships, financial decisions, certain activities, and we spend so much time wallowing in shame. And so, it's nice to look back with no regrets. To realize that you did make the best decision all along. And even if you didn't initially make the decision, or you weren't really sure up front, it's so nice to look back and see that things worked out even better than you would have ever expected.

I am convinced that God not only gives us peace up front when guiding us to the place He desires us to be, but that He also blesses us with peace as a product of obediently following His will. Because wondering minds like mine need it. Minds that want to be in the middle of God's will need confirmation that they are. Full assurance that they did, in fact, do the right thing and make the best decision. Because there will be those days that are harder than others. Those days where you may start to think differently, but it's not the feelings that you rely on, it's the presence of peace that keeps you where you are. The peace that surpasses all understanding. The peace that indicates God's presence. The peace that reminds you that you're headed in the right direction.

I don't regret what I did on May 10, 2013. I don't regret standing in front of God, my family, and my friends and promising to love and honor Aaron for as long as I live. I don't regret taking on his last name, sharing my whole life with him, and becoming one. Because whether it's a good day or a hard day, God's peace remains. Whether there are tears or laughter, God's peace is there. A constant reminder that I made the best decision possible. An indicator that this is where God desired me to be. And I can confidently say that there's never been a day spent with Aaron where I am filled with regret, and I know there will never be. Peace and regret cannot reside together. There's only room for one of those things in God's will, and when you're in the middle of His will, you'll find it's the most peaceful place you can be.

#686 - Because He fill us with peace so that we don't look back with regrets.

"The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace." - Psalm 29:11

Comments

Popular Posts