Reason #955

Tomorrow is National Grandparents Day. I think this holiday should be widely celebrated as grandparents are some of the best people around. I've been fortunate to grow up knowing my grandparents, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Grandparents are people who love you unconditionally and spoil you more than you deserve. I've heard that people quite enjoy becoming grandparents, and lucky are the kids who give them that title. It amazing how the heart has the capacity to love so many people at once, and I am always amazed at how deep the love of a grandparent runs.

With age brings wisdom. Not to say that there aren't young people who posses wisdom, but sometimes we can only gain wisdom through experience. Age gives you the opportunity to have a lot of experiences, and if you make the most of them, if you take the time to learn from them, then you gain much wisdom. Luckily, for me, the people in my family have been blessed with longevity. Wisdom has been passed down, but for true wisdom to become effective, it must be received and applied. Of course, for many of us, we get to a point in our lives where we look back and realize we completely ignored the wisdom that was given to us. We usually feel we're the exception to the rule and we know the best decisions to make, but sometimes we need to listen. Sometimes we need to hear from someone who has been there and done that. It can certainly save us from heartache or firmly set our feet on the path of success. Plus, who better to listen to and take advice from than someone who loves you dearly and has your best interest at heart? They want to see you succeed as much as you do, and they'll be sure to lead you in the right direction.

My grandparents have shared a lot of wisdom with me, but it hasn't always been through words. A lot of it has been through example. They've made decisions and choices along the way, and I've watched the outcomes. I've learned that when you're faithful to the Lord, He is faithful to you. I've seen that hard work and honesty pay off. I've noticed the benefits of living a life of integrity. I've witnessed the blessings that come when you honor the Lord in all you do, and I've seen that when you plant good seeds, you reap a bountiful harvest.

Maybe I'll be a grandparent one day. I certainly hope so, and I hope that my future grandchildren will notice the same things. I hope they'll continue the example that has been set for me, and I hope they'll pass it on. Because I'm thankful for the wisdom that has been passed down through my family. I'm thankful for my grandparents and for the fact that they must have had good grandparents who passed on wise advice to them. After all, you can never get enough good advice, and you can never pass along too much of it. And if following good advice leads to a legacy of wisdom, then we should all be quick to listen, quick to apply it, and certain to remember it.

#955 - For a legacy of wisdom.

"Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise." - Proverbs 19:20

Comments

Popular Posts