Reason #962

My car has been slow starting. I noticed it about a week ago, and for the past few days I have turned the key and wondered how much longer my battery would hang in there. I decided to go to the grocery store tonight, and as I turned the key in the ignition, the car struggled to start. That should have been my first sign, but I backed out of the garage and went on my way. After about 45 minutes of grocery shopping, I headed out to find that my car was dead. I knew this was coming, and I was a little frustrated that it chose to die at an inconvenient time. I called Aaron to come to my rescue and dug the jumper cables out of the trunk. He got there and boosted my car so that I could head home while he headed to pick up our dinner.

 Aaron walked in the door with a bag of chicken and a sweaty face. The trip to get dinner had taken him longer than expected. He was breathing heavy, and he could hardly talk. After he caught his breath, he told me that he had driven past a man who had run out of gas. He stopped to help push the man's truck to the gas station. Of course, someone had to steer the truck, which the truck owner quickly volunteered to do, so that meant Aaron got the job of pushing. Thankfully, he is strong and willing to take on a challenge, and so they were able to successfully navigate the truck to the gas station. Aaron said as soon as they got the truck where it needed to be, he asked the truck owner if there was anything else he needed. The guy said, "No, that's all." And that was it. No thank you, no form of appreciation, nothing. It was almost like he felt Aaron owed him the help simply because he drove by and saw the man in need. Aaron joked that it was a good thing last Sunday's sermon was over the Good Samaritan or he may have considered driving on.

Aaron is a good Samaritan. He is a helper, and he'll help any and everyone out that he sees in need. It's in his character to stop and help out, and I admire that about him. But the truth is, that really is what God asks of us. If you remember the story of the Good Samaritan, he stopped to help a man in great need and it cost him his time, his effort, and his money. He had to get dirty and messy to help out someone he didn't even know. And did that man thank him? I don't know. Scripture doesn't tell us how the story turned out once the man healed. I don't know how he responded to the Good Samaritan. In fact, I don't know if he expressed any sort of appreciation for what was done for him, but that wasn't the point. The Good Samaritan went out of his way to help the man in need because that's what Jesus did, and continues to do, for us. He shows up in our time of need to help us. To rescue us when we are stranded, to heal us when we are hurting, to guide us when we are lost, and to carry us when we can't walk. Not because He owes it to us, not because we deserve it, but because He is merciful, compassionate, kind, and gracious. All the things He calls His children to be. So thank you, Lord, for your help. We couldn't make it without you!

#962 - Because He shows up in our time of need to help us.

"Now which of these three would you say was a neighbor to the man who was attacked by bandits?” Jesus asked. The man replied, “The one who showed him mercy.” Then Jesus said, “Yes, now go and do the same.” - Luke 10:36-37

Comments

Popular Posts