Reason #109


We had quite the storm on Sunday night, complete with heavy rain, hail and looming tornadoes. There’s nothing like spring weather in West Texas! We haven’t had many April showers this year to bring us May flowers, so this storm didn’t come a moment too soon and had it waited a few days, it would have been too late.

I was enjoying “yogurt and yapping” with my dear cousin when the storm came rolling in. Sunday had started out as a very beautiful day. The sun was out, there weren’t any clouds and it was warm. As we polished off our yogurt, the winds began to blow. We could tell a storm was coming. The skies darkened and the scent of rain filled the air. She received a warning phone call that hail was headed our way, so our yogurt date was cut short. The skies opened up as I drove home and small rain drops began to fall. I made it home in the nick of time as the hail storm began. The Lubbock meteorologists absolutely love rain storms, and with every storm in Lubbock they predict a tornado. It’s inevitable that with any spring storm, they will be cutting into regular programming for a good hour to give an enthusiastic play by play of the storm as well as show you numerous cell phone pictures sent in by viewers. Well, to my surprise, I couldn’t get a signal on my TV. I had no clue what to expect. Should I prepare for a tornado? Should I sit in my closet for a bit and wait just in case one passes by? I tried to pick up a weather station on my radio, but I had no luck with that. I pulled up the internet to see if I could somehow watch the interactive radar on the news site and that wasn’t working either. I realized that I wasn’t very prepared for this storm. Too late now! The only thing I did have was a flashlight, and it wasn’t the brightest by any means. So as the hail pounded my roof, I grabbed Scout, my little flashlight, my cell phone and we stayed close together. I talked to my parents and asked them to give me a call if they saw that a tornado was in my neck of the woods. I quite enjoy storms, but the idea of being home alone and possibly facing a natural disaster does set one on edge a wee bit. So, I was down to depending on my ears and or a warning call from my parents should a tornado come sweeping through my neighborhood. Basically, the only thing I could do was be aware, be attentive and listen closely.

Well, I’m glad to report that there was not a tornado. In fact, I don’t think that my house received any damage from the storm. Once the hail finally stopped, I was able to get a TV signal again. Scout and I snuggled up and watched the overly excited news reporter warn us of the next storm, and as we went to bed, we fell asleep to the peaceful, beautiful sound of rain knowing that we were safe from any potential disaster.

And I thought about October when the storm began brewing. It came out of no where. The day had started off as every other day. But I began to see signs of the storm. And the hail started to fall. And I, once again, was totally unprepared. I didn’t know what to expect. No one could predict the path of this storm for me either. And that night, a looming disaster threatened. A disaster that was going to rip my home to pieces and potentially destroy my life. A disaster I had never faced before. And I tried every possible way to find out what was going to happen. How should I prepare myself? What should I prepare myself for? Where can I seek shelter from this storm? Where can I find protection? And as I desperately prayed that the storm would end, I found out that the only thing I could do in the meantime was be aware, be attentive and listen closely. I knew it would pass over, but I didn’t know when. So I listened for signs and signals and I began to hear them. As I paid closer attention, I could see the path this storm was taking. I eventually realized that the disaster was, in fact, going to hit so I began to brace myself. But when it hit, He sheltered me. He protected me. And when the storm passed, I realized that I had made it through untouched, unharmed, still in tact. Though I have been known to enjoy a good storm, I did not like this one. However, as I look back, I see that the storm came at a divinely appointed time, not a moment too soon and not a moment too late.

And just like every person who has ever weathered a destructive storm, I emerged, surveyed the damage and began the process of picking up and cleaning the mess. The good thing is I don’t have to rebuild and repair on my own. My faithful Father was my anchor during the storm and continues to be my helper as we put the pieces back together.

#109- Because He is my anchor and my helper.

“Because you are my helper, I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings. I cling to you; your strong right hand holds me securely.” – Psalm 63:7-8

Comments

Popular Posts