Reason #131

Thirty one years ago, they said “I do.” Thirty one years ago they made a promise, took vows to stick through it for better or worse, til death does them part. Thirty one years ago, my granddad walked his youngest daughter, a blushing bride, down the aisle of the same church he and his own blushing bride had married in many years before. And they stood, my mom and dad, in front of God and their family, and the two became one. Mr.& Mrs.
Today, they celebrate 31 years together. A rare thing to find these days. And I, of all people, would understand the value in that as I became part of a horrible, rapidly increasing statistic in the past year. But they’ve beat the odds with flying colors.
And for 24 years, I have watched them, learned from them, and hoped and prayed that I, too, might be able to experience a marriage like theirs someday. For 24 years I have witnessed my dad love my mom unconditionally. I have watched him cherish my mom just like he promised he would do 31 years ago. I’ve watched my dad be a man of his word, something that many women have, unfortunately, not had. For 24 years I have witnessed my mom love my dad whole-heartedly. I have watched her honor him just like she promised she would do 31 years ago. And I’ve watched them take life on together. Times that were easy, times that weren’t easy, they stood side by side and they trusted the One to whom they both promised 31 years ago. They leaned on the One who was binding them together fully believing that He would see them through it all.
So I count myself blessed. Blessed to have parents who understand what it means to be selfless, to persevere, to be faithful and loyal, completely committed, and to love through it all. Blessed to be able to truly witness the truth of how “two are better than one.” (Ecclesiastes 4:9)
“As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” (Proverbs 27:17) So happy anniversary to the two “sharpest” people I know. Here’s to 31 years down, may you, together, enjoy 100 more!
#131 – Because He has blessed my family with many beautiful marriages.
“Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor. If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.” – Ecclesiastes 4:9-11

Comments

Popular Posts