Reason #129

I have over-active tear ducts. If you know me, or if you've read my blog regularly, this is a well known fact. And sometimes I just can't help it. In fact, I even cry when I laugh. Five to ten seconds of laughter equal tears running down my face. So this weekend, I had a brief moment of feeling overwhelmed. Now, because I am well aware of my crying problem, I realize that if I don't dry it up quickly I'll have a hard time getting myself together. My eyes puff up like little innertubes, my face gets red and splotchy and it's pretty hard to hide it. One of the best ways to stop the tears from flowing is to turn on music. So, as I stood in my bathroom and rolled my eyes to keep the tears from escaping, a song came on. And it's amazing how quickly my mood changes when I shift my focus from myself to my Father. I have only heard this song once before and had no clue who sang it. This was the second time for me to hear it, and by the end I was twirling in circles around the bathroom. So, for the past 3 days I have listened to this song, "Beautiful You," over and over and over and each time I listen to it, I feel the need to dance around while I sing along.

Tonight, I sat in the living room polishing off a bag of tortilla chips while watching Jennifer Lopez play Selina, flat abs and all, and as I felt the waistband in my stretch pants start to constrict, I started to feel it again. A little overwhelmed. A little frustrated. A little discouraged and so I found myself pulling up youtube to listen to this song, "Beautiful You." I needed a reminder. I needed to take the focus off of myself. I needed new thoughts rolling around in my mind. Because the thing is, it's easy to focus on yourself and get down. It's easy to see the flaws, the cracks, the insecurities and feel like you'll never measure up. It's easy to let your views to be skewed by a world that doesn't know the first thing about beauty. A world that airbrushes, botoxes, nips, tucks and deceives. And after I listened to the song about three times, I headed out for a walk.

As I walked the words were stuck in my mind. Lubbock summer nights are near impossible to beat and as the cool air surrounded me, I admired the beauty. A creator, so detailed in His work, pieced together a beautiful place. The colors, the textures, the smells, all beautiful. Things man can't make. Things man can't alter. True beauty in its raw form. Beauty at its finest. And I am amazed at the detail in which He did it. A Creator who chose the colors of the sky. One who determined the shade of each plant, molded each blade, each leaf, each petal into a unique shape. And as I thought about the detail in which He crafted a beautiful planet, I remembered He did the same for me. He picked out the exact shade of blue He wanted my eyes to be, the tint of my skin, the exact number and texture of each hair on my head, my long toes, my short legs, and He placed each freckle right where it was supposed to be. And I forget that I too, was specially crafted. I, too, was intentionally designed. Not by mistake, not by accident. And I was created in His image. (Genesis 1:27) In the image of a beautiful God.

So I thank Him for talking me on a walk to remind me of that and for singing me a song to help me remember that He makes beautiful things.

#129 - Because I am specfically designed, intentionally crafted, by a beautiful God.

"The heavens are yours, and the earth is yours; everything in the world is yours—you created it all." - Psalm 89:11




Comments

Popular Posts