Reason #121

Two years ago, I got to spend Mother's Day with my mom in New York City. We woke up that morning, had a delicious breakfast, did some sight-seeing, visited Tiffany & Co. (and gawked at the sparkly jewels in there) and finished our day up with the musical Wicked and a large cheese burger at a little diner. It was an incredible day! The whole trip was incredible. It was, by far, my most favorite vacation ever, and I've had my fair share of good vacations. But as I think about it, I think the trip meant so much to me because I got to go with my mom. Our first official "girls trip." A time to spend a few days with my favorite lady, doing things we enjoyed and enjoying the time we had together.

I could write for days about my mom. Truthfully, this might be my most challenging entry to date. My mom and I have a special bond. I realize most mothers and daughters have a close relationship, but I would like to think ours is supernatural. It's hard for me to put to words. Not only is she my mom, she is my best friend. My mom has walked through it all with  me. She has supported me, cheered me on, held me up, encouraged me, loved me, cried with me, laughed with me, prayed for me, taught me and been an example for me.

Growing up, my mom and I spent a lot of time together. Of course, we did live in the same house, so that made it easy, but even then, I always wanted to spend my free time with her. I never went through that stage where I thought I was too cool to be seen with either one of my parents. Some of my most favorite memories with my mom come from the walks we used to take in the evenings when I lived at home. When I was in high school, we would strap on our tennies and head out the door to walk a few miles each evening. And we would talk and laugh and daydream. We discussed life's problems and life's possibilities. I would share with her my joys and my heartaches and she would counsel me through them. I always looked forward to our walks, as I could have her attention all to myself. And I knew I could tell her anything and she would have the right advice to give me. She always knows what to say, when to say it and how to say it. And, to be honest, she is always right!

Well, I moved out when I was 19 and I sure missed those walks. Since we couldn't walk together any more, we just had to have our talks via phone. So, at the end of each day I would call and we would talk about the day. I would share with her all of the new developments going on in life, new frustrations, new friendships and new desires. She would listen and share her wisdom and excitement for me, always happy to hear what new things were transpiring. And each time I would go home for a visit, I always took my tennies as I looked foward to going on a walk with her.

At the age of 21 I got my first job. I had a good 40 minute commute each day, so she always accompanied me (via phone) on the drive home. I would vent and complain and cry and she would listen and encourage and help me to see the positive in my situation. And by the time I got home, I always felt like a burden had been lifted off my shoulders. If anyone can come up with a solution and solve a problem, my mom can!

And at the age of 24, the Lord made it possible for our evening walks to pick back up again. And I am ever so grateful for free "cell to cell" phone calls and for my pair of black and blue tennies. So every night in the fall, we would bundle up and head out for a walk. We would discuss my cirucmstances, my heartache, my disappointment, my hopes. And she got to see it all first hand, hear it, experience it with me. And she walked with me every step of the way. Achey feet and a confused heart, but she hung in there with me. And she spurred me on and when she wasn't spending time walking with me, she spent time on her knees. Praying her daughter, her own flesh and blood, through a most devastating situation. Interceding and fighting a fierce battle. Encouraging and lifting me up. Pouring unconditional love over me. And she held my hand and we took one step at a time. One foot in front of the other. Just like we had done for so many years. And I like to think that the Lord took us on so many walks because He knew I needed a faithful walking partner for many years. He knew I needed someone who was familiar with my walking pattern. Someone who had a lot of experience walking with me. Someone who knew how to set a pace and keep me going. Someone who was tough enough, brave enough, strong enough to hang in there. A woman with wisdom, grace, endurance and faith.

So thank you, Mom, for loving me like no one else ever could. Thank you for selflessly giving yourself completely in every form and fashion. For being my best friend. For being an example of what a Godly woman should be. Thank you for always sharing your wisdom and advice. For cheering me up on bad days and always giving me a reason to smile. For listening and being a shoulder to cry on. For spoiling me and always making me feel special and loved. Thank you for so many wonderful memories. And most of all, thank you for walking with me through every twist and turn in life. Happy Mother's Day!

#121 - My mom!

She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness. She carefully watches everything in her household and suffers nothing from laziness. Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her:“There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!” - Proverbs 31:25-29



Comments

Popular Posts