Reason #130

I leave for Chicago tomorrow. My first trip to take alone. Well, I won't technically be alone. I'll be flying alone but I'm getting to spend a few days with my dear friends, Emily and Jordan, who are now Chicago natives!

Last year, plans were made to go to Chicago. Last year, I didn't know...

And in December, Emily and Jordan came to Lubbock. At the time, they didn't know...

Emily called and I broke the news to her. New news for them, old news for me. And so on a mild December Saturday afternoon, Emily and I sat in a coffee shop and we cried together. We talked, we vented, we questioned, we wondered. My life was hanging in the balance, at least for a few more days it was. And I told her about how upset I was that the trip that was planned to Chicago probably wasn't going to happen. She encouraged me to come anyway. A thought I hadn't had. I suppose I forgot that I was an adult and could actually take a trip on my own. So I held off making plans because I didn't know what to plan for. "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord..." (Jeremiah 29:11)

And two days later, I sat in the counselor's office finally finding out that things weren't going according to my plan. "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord..."

Emily checked on me that week and I told her the final outcome. She reminded me again about taking a trip to Chicago. It was now January, a new year. Two weeks of paid vacation. I could do this. So I began looking at flights and decided that May would be the time to go. The weather would be nice, I could wear sundresses, I figured I would be good by May. One round trip ticket to Chicago. And I began to make plans. Emily did too (because if there was a ever a girl with a plan, it's her)! "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord..."

And so a few months passed. I had my Chicago trip penciled in on my calendar. Things started to happen. New things were transpiring and so I started making more plans. Amazed at how God was working, I thought I had it figured out. And I began to make new plans concerning my travels. This was an exciting surprise, and quite ironic too... at least I thought so. I didn't expect to be making these plans. And so I started praying about them. Getting ahead of myself as I planned away. And the more I prayed, the less my plans were working out. And I spent the next few weeks being a little angry. Mad that my plans were obviously not going to happen. Not sure why, at that moment in time, either. "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord..."

Five months ago, I sat in a coffee shop and made plans to go on a trip in May. And tonight, May 22, the night before I leave for this pre-planned, long awaited trip, I found myself sitting in a coffee shop. And as I drove home, I thought about my travel plans. I thought about the setting and how much has changed. Plans that were made with tears and uncertainty, plans that fell through, have now turned into plans I never expected. As I drove home, I began to find it a little funny. A little ironic, if I'm being honest. Because all this time, I've had a plan. And the thing is, I didn't know, but He knew. He knew His plans for me. He declared them long ago.

So I sipped my chai and I chatted. And I praised the Lord that this time, my conversation was full of laughter rather than tears. I praised Him that I am still getting on a plane to Chicago tomorrow. And I praise Him that even though I'm not sure what the plan is, He knows full well.

#130 - Because He knows the plans.

"But the LORD’s plans stand firm forever; his intentions can never be shaken." - Psalm 33:11




Comments

Popular Posts