Reason #138

Two hands, ten fingers. Ten fingernails painted with bright purple polish. A stack of rings permanently stuck on the right hand ring finger. Two pinkies that stick out to the side. These are my hands.

Tonight, these hands multi-tasked on the drive home, taking turns between shoving Reese's Pieces in my mouth and flipping through the radio stations. And every day, my right hand pencils in plans on a calendar all the while marking off the day before. Each morning these hands strategically hold the brushes that paint the make-up on my bare face, covering the undesireable spots and playing up the features passed on to me by my mother.

I think of all these hands have been through. These fingers have spent 138 nights pounding on a keyboard. They have held the pens that have recorded my inner-most thoughts and prayers into journals. They have flipped through the thin pages of a bible seaching for comfort, searching for truth. They have wiped away tears, and they have clapped with joy. These hands have lifted high in praise and they tuck themselves under my pillow each night as I drift to sleep.

And I've come to realize how often I like to take matters into these hands of mine. My own hands. Hands that want to make final decisions, have the final say. Hands that want to steer this vessle. Hands that desire to find a solution to every problem. And I began to notice that when I took my hands off of things, when I placed them in His hands, it all started to come together.

So I have slowly, one by one, been plucking my fingers away. And trust me, many are the moments when I just have to sit on my hands. But when things are out of my hands, I see that they are in better hands because I'm in better hands.

Hands that formed the universe. Hands that fearfully and wonderfully made me. Hands that parted waters, calmed seas. Hands that performed miracles and that took nails for my sins. Hands that hold the whole world. Hands that have written my story and are slowly but surely putting the pieces together.

So tonight, as my hand was held in prayer, He showed me how much He can accomplish when I place it in His hands. He proved to me tonight how well things work when they are out of my hands.

#138 - Because things work out best when they are in His hands.

"When you give it to them, they gather it up; when you open your hand, they are satisfied with good things." - Psalm 104:28

Comments

Popular Posts