Reason #128

I was given the opportunity to be president of my sorority my junior year of college. This was, by far the most challenging and exhausting year of my life. It was also one of the most memorable years, and I would go back and do it again if I could. At the end of every meeting, 100+ girls would stand up, hold hands and sing "Thank You." A song with powerful words. A song that became routine. And so at the end of that year, I passed the torch on, and as a little momento I received a framed sheet of music for "Thank You." A frame that sits on my entry hall table. A momento I will keep forever.


For all that you've done I will thank you
For all that you're going to do
For all that you've promised and all that you are
Is all that has carried me through
Jesus I thank you
And I thank you, thank you, Lord
And I thank you, thank you, Lord
Thank you for loving and setting me free
Thank you for giving your life just for me
How I thank you
Jesus I thank you
Gratefully thank you
Thank you

So I sat in a new spot at church today and my heart swelled as we sang this song. A song that I am all too familiar with has now taken on a new meaning. And as I stood in the Phi Lamb meetings years ago singing this song, I really didn't have a clue what I was singing. Sure, I was thankful to serve a God who did wonderful things for me, and I was thankful that He gave up His life for me. But today, I sang these words and the gratitude was immeasurable. I couldn't thank Him enough. If I said 'thank you' every second of every day for the rest of my life, it wouldn't be enough.

And I stood amazed as I thought about all that He has done. I thought about all He has carried me through and 'thank you' just seems too inadequate of a phrase to use. Because for months I wasn't thankful. But I faked it. I pretended like I was thankful thinking that maybe I could force myself into the feeling of gratitude. And I remember having so many conversations with my mom about this and she kept reminding me to thank God for what He was going to do. But He wasn't doing what I wanted Him to do so it wasn't very easy to be thankful. And as we sat on the couch and talked this afternoon, we marveled not only at what He is going to do, but what He is doing. And I'm so thankful for all of it, for what's been done, what's being done and what will be done.

I read an advice column over etiquette this weekend and thank you notes were part of the discussion. A reader noted that she always mailed gifts to her family but never received a thank you note. Her main concern was that because she didn't receive a thank you note, she never knew if they received the gift or not. She felt like the thank you note not only showed appreciation for the gift but also gave the sender confirmation that it was gladly received. The writer suggested that she stop sending gifts and maybe the family would realize they needed to be more appreciative. And maybe sometimes this is where we fall short. We forget to say 'thank you.' Two simple words that mean so much. Some times easier to say than other times, and some times easy to forget. Saying thank you takes time. Saying thank you takes effort. But a simple 'thank you' means so much to the sender. A confirmation that we have received and apprecaite what was sent our way. And maybe sometimes it takes a while to get around to saying 'thank you,' but I have a feeling that when apprecaition is shown from the receiver, the giver is glad to keep on giving.

#128 - Because of all He has done and is going to do.

"O our God, we thank you and praise your glorious name!" - 1 Chronicles 29:13




Comments

Popular Posts