Reason #119

I have gotten out of the habit of cooking. I used to cook every night, but it is hard to cook for one person. I have found that I can save myself a lot of time, energy and calories if I eat a sandwich or cereal for dinner. Easy and good enough! Tomorrow, my family is coming over for an early Mother's Day celebration. I decided that I would do a little cooking tonight so I could be efficient and sleep in later in the morning. I am not one to spend very long in the kitchen. I prefer to cook things that take less than 20 minutes of prep time and have no more than 5 ingredients. I have my "go to" meals that I have pretty much perfected, but I wanted to do something different tomorrow. If you've ever cooked a meal for more than two people, you know what a challenge it can be to decide what to fix. Well, I flipped through my cookbook, looked up some recipies on the internet and finally settled on a meal that sounded very "Mother's Day-ish." These recipies seemed simple enough. Of course, I have never made these things before but I figured I would give it a shot. Try something new. Now, I will admit that I always sample everything I make before I give it to someone else to eat. I had a few samples of my new experiments tonight and well, let's just say that I just hope that something magical will happen while they sit in the refrigerator over night. I'm starting to wish I would have pulled out one of my "go to" recipies, but hey, maybe I'll be surprised tomorrow.

As I cleaned up the dirty dishes tonight, I thought about how hard it can be to try new things. Aside from recipies, I am getting to try a lot of new things right now. Truthfully, it can be a little nerve racking. What if this new thing doesn't work out like I thought it would? What if this new thing just ends up being a disappointment? What if the new thing isn't as good as the old "go to" thing? And some times, new things are a lot of work. Unfamiliar. You have to figure your way through it a few times before you get it down. Try it out. See if you like it. And sometimes, you just have to go for it. Just do it and hope for the best. Be optimistic and see what happens. Maybe, it'll end up being a pleasant surprise. Maybe, it'll end up being better that expected. But you never know if you don't give it a try.

And some times, we need newness in our lives. New perspective. New company. New environment. New outlook. New things can be exciting, and occasionally, necessary. Newness brings life, joy, refreshment. We get stuck in our ways. Content and comfortable. It's easy to do the same thing over and over. Be a creature of habit. But I think about how God sends us new mercies every morning. Not the same mercies. Not the "go to" mercies. New ones. And I appreicate those new mercies. I am thankful for the joy they bring, for their refreshment. I'm thankful that He's always doing a new thing. Mixing it up a little to keep the adventure exciting. Maybe, we need to look at new things as opportunities for joy rather than fear. Opportunities to learn about Him, about ourselves and to do something that could be exhilirating. Something unforgettable.

#119 - New things!

"Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him." - Colossians 3:10

Comments

Popular Posts