Reason #146

I watched a new show tonight, Duets. Famous singers are paired up with everyday people to perform duets. It's kind of like a cross between Dancing with the Stars and American Idol. Anyhow, one of the duos sang "How Great Thou Art." So I sat there, holding my breath, with my mouth gaping wide open and tears in my eyes. It was beautiful! Of course, the singers had incredible voices but the passion behind the song, the ancient and true words of the song, pierced my heart. And I was amazed that they were getting to sing this on national TV, sharing with who knows how many people how great God is.

And so after I finished watching it, rewinding it, and watching it one more time, I went on a walk. The sky was dark grey and the wind was blowing, but it was cool outside and it was beautiful. More of a haunting beauty, but beautiful none the less. And I noticed how much greener the grass and trees looked against the grey sky. I noticed how much more vibrant the colors of the flowers were without the hot sun drenching them in its light. And the words of the song played over and over in my head.

I thought about His power. I thought about how the dark clouds displayed His handiwork so well. The power of a looming storm. The driving force behind the winds. I thought about how much I loved storms. I wished so desperately that it would pour. I wished those dark clouds would open up and that the rain would fall. And I realized how at peace I felt. How much I was enjoying the heavy humidity, the pending rain, the forceful winds. For a moment, I thought I might not even mind getting stuck in the rain if just so happened to fall (and that's saying a lot).

But I think I've learned to view storms a little differently than before because, like the words of the song say, God's power is displayed in every storm. As I've gone through each storm, I've seen His majesty, witnessed His might. I've seen how each storm brings new life, new colors, new perspectives when it's over. And there's something beautiful about those dark, heavy clouds. Maybe it's because when you see them, you realize something big is about to happen. With every storm, a change is made.

And I've learned that storms are much easier to go through when you realize that the power behind it is the same power that can stop it. The One who speaks them in to motion is the same One who tells them to die down. And although sunlight is warm and lovely, it's in the storms that you see Him. It's in the storms that you feel Him. In the storms, He so tangibly reminds you of His presence. The rain drops, the wind, the rumble of the thunder, each letting you know that He's there.

So I'm grateful for the cloudy days. For the days that are a little darker, a little cooler. For the days when I get to witness His power, see His might, have a change of perspective. And I'm grateful for the haunting beauty of a stormy sky. Because those lovely grey clouds sure make the sun appear to shine a little brighter when the storm has passed and blue skies are back.

#146 - Because there is beauty in the storms, too.

"Praise the Lord! Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heaven! Praise him for his mighty works; praise his unequaled greatness!" - Psalm 150: 1-2

Comments

Popular Posts