Reason #165

Timing is everything. One second sooner, one second later and we might have very well missed our opportunity. An opportunity that may never present itself again, or at least not for quite some time. I’ve learned that God’s timing is perfect. God’s timing is divine, and I love when He gives me an opportunity to experience His providential timing. I love when He surprises me with something I would have never thought of or expected. A pure blessing it is.

I met a friend for dinner last night. I was originally planning on meeting with her Tuesday night but she had already made plans so we met Monday night. 5:30 on the dot. I’ve confessed my tardy ways before, but last night I was on time. I walked into the restaurant, empty with the exception of the employees and a cute, trendy girl finishing up her meal. We made quick eye contact, smiled and as I sat down to wait for my friend, she exited the restaurant.
Yesterday, as you may recall, I was feeling like “that girl.” Being “that girl” as a matter of fact. Yesterday, He reminded me of who I am. How He sees me. What He really thinks of me. Yesterday, He was quick to encourage me. Quick to fill me with truth. Once again, He immediately provided for me in an unexpected way.

About a minute passed and the door to the restaurant opened. I looked up to see cute, trendy girl walking towards me. She said, “Are you Brittnye?” I was a little caught off guard and curious as to why she was back. She asked if she could speak with me for a quick minute. We stood outside, in the sweltering June heat, and this sweet sister spoke incredible words of affirmation to me. This girl, once again, someone I don’t know, encouraged me. And the Lord used her in a mighty, mighty way at 5:30 on a Monday afternoon. He used her to impact my life, to turn my day around. A brave girl, too! Brave to approach a stranger. Brave to follow the Lord’s promptings rather than shrugging them off. Brave to share her heart. She told me she had been praying for me. She told me that I had been on her heart all week. She had stumbled across my words, my daily reasons, and she was lifting me up. Yep, lifting up “that girl.” And so we hugged, parted ways, and my heart felt like it was going to burst open with joy. I could hardly believe what had just happened!

I went back into the restaurant feeling a kind of shocked, totally blessed and completely undeserving. As I chowed down on my burrito bowl, I shared with my friend the new details of my life. My friend, sweet and as beautiful as they come, was there that Sunday in October when I first shared my heart-breaking news. I remember how she cried with me. I remember how she sent me the most uplifting e-mail about scars. And I thought about how fortunate I was to be sitting there telling her what all God, because of His infinite grace, was doing in my life. The more I shared, the more I saw it. Grace. Answered prayers. Encouragement. Provision. Compassion. And I thought about how God has been putting things in place so long ago. Even when I didn’t know. He has been crafting and positioning things just right so that when the time came, when I had a need, when I needed encouragement, when I needed help, when I needed a reminder, it was there. Planning ahead to meet my every need.

And so He met my need yesterday with a cute, trendy girl. A fellow traveler. A sister in Christ. And I’m grateful for each girl, each friend, who He sends my way with words of encouragement. Words that always come at a perfectly appointed time. I’m thankful for each sister, whether or not I know her, who gives me a hug and prays for me. And I’m thankful to be a part of a family, part of a body, who reaches out and loves on me in really incredible ways. Even when I don’t know it…

#165 – Because He catches me off guard right when I need it.

"O LORD my God, you have performed many wonders for us. Your plans for us are too numerous to list. You have no equal. If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds, I would never come to the end of them." - Psalm 40:5

Comments

Popular Posts