Reason #157

I shared a pizza with my roommate for dinner tonight. I spent way too long ironing (my least favorite chore next to mopping and taking out the trash), so I skipped my normal dinner time. She came home, popped a pizza in the oven, offered to share, so I took her up on it. Fifteen minutes passed as we waited for it to cook. The smell coming from the kitchen was wonderful, and I couldn't wait for the timer to beep. As soon as it did, she took the pizza out, cut it up, and I eagerly grabbed a slice. It looked delicious, smelled delicious, therefore, I knew it was going to be delicious. Rarely do my senses fail me when it comes to food. My tastebuds were getting the best of me so I chomped down on that steamy, hot, gooey cheese as soon as I got it off of the pan only to find it melting to the roof of my mouth. I should have waited, I should have let it cool of a little, I knew better. And although the pizza was as tastey as I figured, I think I would have enjoyed it better were I not eating it with a burned mouth.

I don't know why I do this. I knew I was going to get to eat that pizza eventually. I knew it was going to be good. It wasn't going anywhere. Really, it was just a matter of time. But I couldn't wait to sink my teeth in. Impatient. And I had to pay the price for it.

As I trekked along on the eliptical at the gym, I thought about how much I do this in life. And not just with pizza. I see something and it looks good, sounds good, seems good. And so I must have it! Really, I would have liked to have had it yesterday if I'm being honest. And so I don't want to wait because I feel like I've already waited long enough. I'm pretty sure my sense aren't going to fail me. I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it. And the thing is, I know it's usually going to happen. It's not going anywhere. It's just a matter of time.

So maybe I needed a bite of hot pizza to remind me why it is better to wait a bit. Maybe I should learn my lesson from melted cheese. Maybe rushing isn't always the best tactic. Because some things are better when you give them a minute to sit. Some things are more pleasant after a little time has passed. And if it's going to happen, if it's going to eventually be anyway, then what's a little wait going to hurt? And who knows, maybe sitting back for a few minutes will make it all the more enjoyable.

#157 - Because He will bring it about eventually.

"Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly." - Psalm 5:3

Comments

Popular Posts