Reason #296

I worry about the little things. I'm analytical, detail oriented and so I like to work through and think through every possible scenario. I have a plan for everything and a contingency plan just in case the original plan does work out. I also have a back-up plan in the event that neither the original or contingency plan work. So I get lost in the details. Trying to put all of the pieces together to make a really neat, organized plan. But sometimes it takes a while to put the pieces together. Sometimes, the pieces fit differently than anticipated. And so when this happens, I begin to worry. Throw something big my way, and I've got it. I'm not going to worry about it, be anxious or spend time stressing over it. Change a tiny detail and I can't think straight. And I've come to realize that I often times spend my worry on good things. Things that shouldn't even be a problem, in fact, things that are usually a "good problem" really mess with me. But maybe it's because I prepare myself for the worst and when the best happens, it really throws me for a loop.

So I drove to church this morning and my prayer was pretty simple. About half way through my drive, the words from a hymn came to mind and I began to sing the chorus to myself.

Wherever He leads I'll go
Wherever He leads I'll go
I'll follow my Christ who loves me so
Wherever He leads I'll go
 


And it began to make sense. I began to realize how silly it was for me to really worry in the first place. Because as I repeated this chorus to myself over and over during the last half of my drive, I began to see the truth in it. And here's what I discovered. I don't have to be worried about where He leads me. I don't have to worry about what's next because God is never going to lead me anywhere away from Himself. In fact, when He leads me, He takes me down a path that is only going to bring me closer to Him. And so why would this worry me? Why would I be anxious to let God lead me closer? Because where ever He leads me He is also going. He never sends us alone. And He loves me so. So dearly, so deeply, so passionately that He would never lead me to harm. He would never lead me to danger or destruction. He would never lead me to a place that He himself would not go.  A place where He will not also be. And so I began to find comfort and peace as these words left my mouth. Assurance that I can't go wrong if I let Him lead me. And my new prayer turned into this:
 
Wherever you lead I'll go
Wherever you lead I'll go
I'll follow you, Christ, because you love me so
Wherever you lead I'll go
 
 
#296 - Because wherever He leads me, He'll also be there.
 
"Send out your light and your truth; let them guide me. Let them lead me to your holy mountain, to the place where you live. There I will go to the altar of God, to God—the source of all my joy." - Psalm 43:3-4

Comments

Popular Posts