Reason #316

One of the things, probably the only thing, I miss about being in school is having nice, long breaks. I always feel sorry for those of us in the "corporate world" when the holidays, spring break and summer roll around. Two weeks of vacation for a whole year and that's it. Sure, I do get random bank holidays here and there but I'd gladly give those up for a longer break at Thanksgiving and Christmas.

This week has seemed like a month. Maybe it's because this week was an unusual week for me. Travel and holiday all crammed into 7 days. And so tomorrow the routine picks back up. I will say that I'm a little sad my break is coming to an end, but this has been one of the best and longest holiday breaks I've had since I graduated college 4 years ago.

Over the break I planned to get some things done. I planned to finish up a project, do a little Christmas decorating, read a book, clean out my refrigerator, and complete all of my regular weekend chores before Monday. So, during the last few days, here is what all I have accomplished:

1. Sleep

That's about it. I have slept every day for the past 3 days until at least 11:00AM. Each morning when my alarm has gone off I have quickly turned it off and gone back to sleep. Therefore, I have not crossed a single item off of my to-do list. But I'll be honest and say I've enjoyed it thoroughly. In fact, I am not the only one who has taken advantage of not having a set schedule. Scout has happily stayed in bed with me each morning. It's been nice. Having nothing to do, getting to do only what you want to do, and realxing has made for the perfect break.

So, I have enjoyed my time off. I have enjoyed replenshing my sleep deficit. I have loved waking up every morning when my eyes decided to open rather than to the sound of a buzzing alarm. And maybe I didn't get much accomplished. Maybe I could have been a little more productive, but those chores aren't going anywhere so I'll get to them eventually. Tomorrow, the pace picks back up. Busy weeks lie ahead, but I'm grateful for a little time off. I'm grateful for a few days to take it easy and relax. And, even though I wouldn't mind having a few more days (or weeks) like this in the near future, I'm thankful for a job to go back to on Monday. For co-workers who double as friends and for a paycheck that keeps a roof over my head. And, fortunately, Christmas isn't far away, and I'll sure be looking forward to using up my last 2 vacation days for the year!

#316 - For days to sleep late and relax.

"It is useless for you to work so hard from early morning until late at night, anxiously working for food to eat; for God gives rest to his loved ones." - Psalm 127:2


Comments

Popular Posts