Reason #299

I woke up this morning with a slight feeling of nausea. A pit in the middle of my stomach. It was as if I was waking from a bad dream hoping that maybe, somehow, I went to bed with the wrong information. I haven’t had a morning like that in a long, long time.
 
My political preference should be of no surprise. I grew up in a small, West Texas town. A Southern Baptist from the bible belt. Conservative in every form of the word. One who saves money and enjoys going to the shooting range with her father. A girl who believes in the God-designed institution of marriage and honestly believes that every life has value and purpose. A girl who thinks people should be held accountable for their choices and that hard work and determination is the key to getting ahead in life. A girl who stands firm in what she believes, too. But I don’t believe in these things because the government has persuaded me. I don’t believe in these things because they are the popular idea around here. And so you may agree, or you may disagree. The fortunate thing is, we live in the land of the free, thus we are free to choose and voice what we believe.
 
And so I could rant and rave about how disappointed and discouraged I am. I could go on and on about how I think we’re getting it all wrong as a whole. But I won’t because it doesn’t matter. When I walked into the voting booth, my opinion was given. But my heart is heavy to see a nation divided. My heart is heavy to see a people who used to proudly proclaim they were “one nation under God” now relentlessly chase after the things of the world. Most all, my heart was heavy because with each passing election, the divide becomes greater. And the truth is, this was going to happen regardless of whether or not the oval office had a blue or red tint. The unfortunate thing about elections is that it is impossible to please everyone.
 
And so I thought about the past 4 years of my life as I thought about what the next 4 are going to look like, and here is what I came to realize. When I faced hardship, it wasn’t the government that pulled me through. When I wondered if I was going to be able to make ends meet, it wasn’t the United States of America that provided for me. When my circumstances looked dismal, it wasn’t a political party that lifted me up and carried me through it. This nation wasn’t concerned about what I faced. Why would they be? I didn’t ask them for help. I didn’t make them aware of my plight. I didn’t petition for provision or even expect it for that matter. And, although I personally felt like what I was dealing with was very unfair and unfortunate, I didn’t expect to be treated any differently because of it.
 
“In God we trust,” and that’s exactly what I did. I followed the motto of our nation, the one our founding fathers felt best described the type of people they hoped us to be. And so when I faced hardship, He pulled me through. When I wondered if I was going to be able to make ends meet, He provided for me despite a declining economy. When my circumstances looked dismal, He lifted me up and carried me through. He was concerned about what I faced, completely aware of my plight.
 
And so, I am thankful to live in a land of freedom. I’m grateful for a democracy and the opportunity to vote. But more than that, I’m thankful I serve a God who reigns forever. A God who keeps His promises and is faithful to uphold each one. And most of all, I’m thankful that I serve a God who is going to take care of me regardless of who is in leadership.
 
#299 – Because He will take care of His children regardless.
 
 
Then if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land.My eyes will be open and my ears attentive to every prayer made in this place.” – 2 Chronicles 7:14-15

Comments

Popular Posts