Reason #312

Driving the Fiat put me in the mood for Italian food. I had a multicultural night, in fact. I spent some time at Ikea before my super Italian dinner. A well rounded evening in my opinion. I left Ikea and just so happened to get a tad lost yet it worked out well. I always gorge myself when I travel, so I've tried to be very conscious the past few days and limit my food in take. After all, Thanksgiving is two days away so I have to be extra careful if I want to have a chance at wearing my dress pants next week.

I always feel a little strange eating in restaurants by myself. I fully planned on getting my meal to go, but this wasn't a "to-go" type of place. A really cute, small intimate restaurant. It had a romantic vibe, which, in turn, made me feel a little more strange eating alone. I kind of felt like a charater in a Lifetime movie. New girl in town walks into a little home-owned restaurant, is seated alone by the window (cue snow fall), and next thing you know she is taking on the Christmas pageant that used to be the town tradition until the director came down with an illness causing the town to lose its holiday cheer. A little cheesy holiday magic is thrown into the mix and the director is miraculously healed, the whole town is once again united, Christmas cheer returns in a bigger way than ever, and new girl is the hero. Well, my Lifetime movie plotting quickly came to an abrupt end when a huge plate of deliciousness was set in front of me. As much as I anticipated eating this home-made meal, my tastebuds were set on the dessert I had decided in advance on. That's right, I allowed myself to splurge a bit. I hadn't had anything sweet since Sunday, so I was past due.

I have to admit that it was worth it. A good decision on my part. A homemade cannoli, and I ate the whole thing. Not to worry, it had fruit on the top so that made it a healthy choice. Some times it's the small things. Dessert when you want it. Something sweet just because. I don't do this very often either. By "this" I don't mean eat sweets, as that's far from the truth. I mean I don't allow myself to splurge on the little things very often. I rationalize and tell myself, "You don't need that. You've had enough. That's not necessary. That's not pratcial." I can think up an excuse for anything. And, usually, if I do splurge I beat myself up afterwards, which takes the fun out of it. But I decided tonight I wouldn't do that. I would get dessert, eat it... all, enjoy it, and not feel bad about it. Because the truth is, sometimes you just need to spoil yourself a tad. Maybe it's not something big. Maybe it's a bubble bath, an evening of sitting on the couch and flipping through a magazine, a lazy Saturday morning, a cheesy movie on a "work night." Enjoy life a little. Do something that you want to do without rationalizing whether or not you need to do it. Sometimes, it's just nice to be spontaneous and splurge.

And so I'm thankful for these little opportunities. Thankful for good desserts and for not having a good enough reason to pass them up. And, most of all, I'm thankful that God intended for us to enjoy the life He gave us, which is exactly what I did this evening!

#312 - Little splurges!

"So I saw that there is nothing better for people than to be happy in their work. That is why we are here! No one will bring us back from death to enjoy life after we die." - Ecclesiastes 3:22



Comments

Popular Posts