Reason #306

Thirty one years ago he started his job. In fact, according to him, the only thing he’s had longer than his job is my mom…and a few pairs of underwear. His words, not mine. We won’t go there right now. And so 3 months after they got married, my dad fulfilled his childhood dream and became a police officer.
 
Today was his last official day of work as he is having surgery tomorrow. February, his official retirement date, is just around the corner. And, I bet if he were to look back, he would feel like August 1981 was just yesterday. My dad is a brave man. One who is willing to put his life on the line for others, as is clearly a requirement in his field of work. He’s seen a lot through the years, too. Some things he has shared and some things he has kept to himself. He’s seen more bad than good. The ugly ways of the world. Sin at its worst, really. Death, loss, hatred and violations of all sorts. He’s dealt with a public who only shows appreciation when they want or need something. People who take for granted their safety as if it were owed to them to have brave men and women available at a moment’s notice. He is part of a select few who serve around the clock, who have to swallow fear and be brave regardless of how scary the situation may be. Public servants who do the things the rest of us either don’t want to do or are too scared to do. So we are beyond fortunate to have people who willingly choose to serve us on many levels ensuring our safety. We would do good to appreciate them and thank them for taking on such a task.
 
As is with all police officers, they are required to start out working the late night shifts. As a child, I remember my dad kissing me goodnight as he headed off to work. Suited up in his black uniform and weighted down with heavy equipment, into the darkness he would go. It was hard, I’m sure. After all, who wants to be up and about when the majority of the world is safely tucked under the sheets asleep? And, as he would often remind me, “Nothing good happens after dark.” I can imagine this wasn’t easy on my mom, either. The fortunate thing is both of them are very strong and determined individuals and so they made it work. After a few years of paying his dues, shifts changed and he was able to work normal hours.
 
Here’s what I really appreciate more than anything. For one, I appreciate that my dad was always a selfless provider for our family. I appreciate that he worked crummy hours for so many years so that we could have a roof over our head and food in our bellies. I appreciate that he would work extra events during the year so that we could enjoy nice Christmases. I appreciate that he took his job seriously, and that he not only protected the city he served but also his family. I appreciate the example he set of what it meant to be a loyal, hard worker. I appreciate that he always stuck to his morals, ethics and values even though he was surrounded by people who lived out the ways of the world. But more than all of those things, I appreciate that my dad has always been there. That he never put his work before his family. Because he had hard days, and he worked tiring shifts, but my dad was always there regardless. Sure, he could have made excuses, but he didn’t. He was a present father, a present husband, and I realize how rare that is. Because we live in a consumer society. A world who tells you that you need more of this and more of that. A society who encourages you to keep up with the Jones’. And so the providers work more hours, chasing dollar signs all the whole forgetting the value of a family. But he never forgot that. And, of course, once you are a parent, you’re always a parent. But here’s the thing, you only have so many years of football games, dance recitals, church programs, cheerleading camps, proms, driving lessons, first dates, graduations, and everything else in between. And really, aren’t those the valuable things? Like my dad has always said, “It’s just money, we can make more of it.” And that’s true. But it’s all of those other things that are priceless, and it’s those exact things that you can never make more of.
 
And so that’s why, to me, my dad is a modern day hero. Not because he has worn a badge for 31 years. Sure, that warrants much praise and recognition, but it’s because of the man he has been, the father he has been, and the husband he has been. Whether or not he realizes it, he has been the epitome of a servant as he has faithfully served his city, children and wife for 31 years. A job he has never taken lightly, and a job he will continue to do well. Sometimes, we over think that one, but really, a servant is one who puts the needs of others above their own. It’s a simple idea yet a difficult role to live out in this day and age. He’s done it well. And so I can only hope and pray that 31 years from now my children-to-be will look at me in the same light. That they won’t be proud of the job I had, of whether or not I was able to give them the things they wanted, of what I looked like or what accolades I may or may not have achieved by then. I hope that they see exactly what I see in my dad. A parent who gave it his all, who did his best, who loved his family dearly, who would lay down his life for each and everyone of them because “There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friend.” (John 15:13)
 
And so I praise the Lord of giving me a father who has always gone above and beyond the call, who has exemplified bravery and loyalty, who has been a servant, who has done everything the Lord has asked of him as a man of God, and who has loved his family with a deep, life-giving love.
 
#306 – Because He has given me wonderful examples of what a Godly parent and spouse look like.
 
 
"Care for the flock that God has entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly—not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. Don’t lord it over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by your own good example." - 1 Peter 5:2-3

Comments

Popular Posts