Reason #672

I don't watch TV regularly. I have my few shows that I really love, and aside from those, I only watch special events. I do, however, like to have the TV going as background noise when I'm working around the house. Tonight I decided it was time to make pumpkin bread. Thanksgiving is only two days away, and I need to be sure I get something pumpkin in before then. Anyway, I turned on The Voice while I was baking and the finalists started the show by singing a song together. They sang a song titled "Will The Circle Be Unbroken." It's a song about a guy losing his mother, which is a pretty depression song choice if you ask me, but the chorus says:

Will the circle be unbroken
By and by, Lord, by and by
There's a better home a-waitin
In the sky, Lord, in the sky
 
For some reason, I already knew the chorus of this song (not sure how), and when they started to sing it, I was appalled at how they edited it. The replaced "Lord" with "Oh." Seriously? Who do they think created and is residing in that better home a-waitin in the sky? I can tell you his name isn't Oh. Anyway, it really upset me that they did this. Of course, I realize that if the sang the actual words to the song, they might offend someone. Never mind the fact that they can sing songs about all sorts of immoral activities with vulgar language and that's deemed appropriate. It's a sad day when you realize that we're much more acceptable and comfortable with the things of this world than we are with the very one who is holding it all in His hands.
 
My heart has been really despondent over the past few days as I am reading the new headlines and reading through the old testament. I mentioned the other day how Moses was constantly interceding for Israel because they were so good at sinning and so bad at obeying. And because the Israelites were determined to do what they wanted to do rather than listen to God, they had to learn some really tough lessons. Tonight, I read about Joshua leading the Israelites as they defeated Jericho. Before they went in, they were given these instructions. "Do not take any of the things set apart for destruction, or you yourselves will be completely destroyed, and you will bring trouble on the camp of Israel. Everything made from silver, gold, bronze, or iron is sacred to the Lord and must be brought into his treasury.” (Joshua 6:18-19) But there was one, there always is, who disobeyed. He kept a few things for himself and by doing so many people, him included, lost their lives. This may seem a little harsh, but the devotional I read tonight said, "Today's reading explains one reason why God finds sin so abhorrent. It leaves scars on the innocent as well as the guilty."
 
Truth be told, we're all guilty of creating scars on ourselves as well as others. And tonight, my heart was heavy as I watched TV realizing, yet again, the effects of sin on our nation. Of course, I've contributed as much as the next guy, and it's pretty clear that we've taken a turn for the worse. And so, tonight, I just really felt the need to apologize to the Lord. God, I'm so sorry for the mess we've caused. I'm sorry that we are quick to judge, slow to love, and constantly disobey. That we don't stand up for injustice like we should but that we remain silent in order to blend in. That we accept, and often adapt to, the behaviors of this world rather than standing up and doing what is right. That we are more worried about offending men than we are about speaking truth. I am sorry that we follow our flesh instead of following your commands. That we blame you for our mistakes rather than confessing them and repenting of them. I am sorry that we are pushing you away, and trying to do it on our own. That we have let pride get in the way and think that we are capable of any and everything. I am sorry that we don't give you the glory, respect, and honor you deserve. That we take advantage of you and even mock your name. Forgive us for what we have done, for how we have strayed from you, for how we have refused to follow or even acknowledge you. Forgive us for not being your salt and light, your hands and feet, and for slowly losing sight of all that you have done for us.
 
We don't deserve your grace, your mercy, love, or forgiveness. We don't deserve a second chance or anything good, for that matter. But I praise you, Lord, that you sent your Son to help us overcome. That we have the choice of how we will live our lives, and we can chose to live them for you. And I praise you that there really is a better home waiting for us, and that someday we'll get to join you there.
 
#672 - Because He still loves us and will forgive us despite all that we have done.
 
“For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him. “There is no judgment against anyone who believes in him. But anyone who does not believe in him has already been judged for not believing in God’s one and only Son. And the judgment is based on this fact: God’s light came into the world, but people loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil. All who do evil hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their sins will be exposed. But those who do what is right come to the light so others can see that they are doing what God wants.” - John 3:16-21

Comments

Popular Posts