Reason #675

I caved and decided I would put up a Christmas tree this year. I had been on the fence about it, and every time I told someone I wasn't certain I was going to put up a tree, they looked at me as if I had just said I disliked Christmas. And so as we began to get things out of the attic, I decided I'd just got for it. I braved a trip to Kirkland's to pick up a few things so that I could have a "themed" tree this year, and I have to admit that I'm really proud of how it turned out.

I listened to Christmas music as I was decorating the tree, and I just loved every single song. Seriously, I could listen to Christmas music year round. In fact, the other day I heard a new version of The Little Drummer Boy that has been stuck in my head ever since. I'll be honest and say that The Little Drummer Boy does not make the cut on my list of favorite Christmas songs. As petty as this might sound, the line that says, "The ox and lamb kept time..." drives me crazy. Animals can't do that. Anyway, I've heard this song a million times, and yet the Lord spoke to me in a new way as I listened to it. The end of the song makes such a strong statement that I couldn't help but replay it in my head over and over again.
 
Come, they told me, pa rum pa pum pum
A newborn King to see, pa rum pa pum pum
Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pa pum pum
To lay before the King, pa rum pa pum pum,
Rum pa pum pum, rum pa pum pum
So to honor Him, pa rum pa pum pum
When we come

Little baby, pa rum pa pum pum
I am a poor boy too, pa rum pa pum pum
I have no gift to bring, pa rum pa pum pum
That's fit to give our King, pa rum pa pum pum,
Rum pa pum pum, rum pa pum pum
Shall I play for You, pa rum pa pum pum
On my drum

Mary nodded, pa rum pa pum pum
The ox and lamb kept time, pa rum pa pum pum
I played my drum for Him, pa rum pa pum pum
I played my best for Him, pa rum pa pum pum,
Rum pa pum pum, rum pa pum pum
Then He smiled at me, pa rum pa pum pum
Me and my drum

 
 
Sometimes I feel like I don't have much to offer. What could I give to the King? I come before the Lord and I just feel so worthless. I feel like I could do more, should do more. And I wonder if He is pleased with me, pleased with my efforts. They aren't great by any means. If comparisons were made, I'd lose every time. And so I feel so insignificant and maybe even a little embarrassed. Really unworthy. The fact that me, a simple human being, would be allowed to approach the feet of a King and I so often come empty handed with nothing to offer.
 
Here's the little drummer boy. A poor boy with nothing to give. No gold, frankincense, or myrrh. Nothing of worldly value to lay at the King's feet. Empty handed and insignificant by the world's standards. Really, he shouldn't have even been given this chance. Someone as simple as this little boy shouldn't be allowed in the presence of a king. That's reserved for the important ones. But that didn't stop him. He came to see this little baby, this king. Showing up with a drum, and what's so impressive about that?
 
Notice his humble spirit. He knows full well that he is undeserving. He knows that he has nothing fit to offer to a king. After all, who really does? But Jesus didn't need his money. He didn't need anything for that matter. One of those who already has everything they need, you know. And understanding this, the little boy gave the only thing he could. He gave Jesus his best. The best of his ability and talent. The best performance he could muster up. Playing with his whole heart to the King of Kings, this little drummer boy poured out praise and adoration at the feet of Jesus. And this grand performance, well, notice that it elicited a smile from Jesus. It was pleasing to Him because it wasn't ever about what the boy could bring to Jesus, it was more about the fact that when He came before the Lord, he offered his very best.
 
Jesus doesn't care about your money. Rich or poor, it doesn't matter to Him. He isn't concerned about how beautiful your home is or how nice your clothes are. Jesus doesn't need your things. He is the King of Kings, everything is already His. And so there really is nothing you can offer Jesus that is fit for Him. But that's not why Jesus calls us to come to Him. You see, it's not about what He can gain from us, no it's about the life changing experience we will have. And when we come to Him, the offering He is concerned about isn't tangible. It's about you, it's about your heart. Will you offer Him your best? Did you come to sit at His feet, to pour out praise and adoration, or are you just there out of curiosity? Did you come, honoring Him with your talent and abilities or did you come selfishly expecting? 
 
I praise the Lord that He isn't expecting bars of gold from us. That when we come and we present Him with our best, whatever that may be, He is accepting of it. I thank Him for not comparing our offerings but for accepting them when we approach with humbled and adoring hearts. That He would even let us approach Him, the Most High, is incredible in itself. Because I, myself, don't have much to bring. I am not fit to keep company with a King, but I am glad He invites us to come. And so even if we have empty pockets, even if our gifts seem small and insignificant, when we  bring our best to Him, Jesus welcomes us in with love and smiles because our heart felt offerings are always pleasing to Him.
 
#675 - Because it's not what we present to Him but rather how we present it.
 
"O nations of the world, recognize the Lord; recognize that the Lord is glorious and strong. Give to the Lord the glory he deserves! Bring your offering and come into his courts. Worship the Lord in all his holy splendor." - Psalm 96:7-9


Comments

Popular Posts