Reason #104

I am still trying to figure out what to do with my life. What do I want to be when I "grow up?" I always thought I would have it figured out by now, and for a few years, I thought I did, but I didn't and I still don't. I hate when people ask that near impossible question of "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" Well, one year ago, I would have seen myself in a totally different place than I do today. But even still, I don't know where I see myself in five years. I guess I see myself on the brink of 30, that's about the best I can come up with.

Sometimes I think I might have a better idea of what I'll be doing with my life if I could just find something I'm really good at. Develop a passion. But I'm not a passionate person. I'm just so-so at a lot of random things. I've entered into the dreaming stage again. You know, that stage you usually hit as a senior in high school and then half way through college. You start to get ideas and get excited about the places life might possibly take you. Now, it's all a matter of figuring out how to get there. So I'm starting to dream, and as you know, I'm a girl who likes to plan. I need a list of steps so I can start checking them off, but I have to get the list started somehow. What is step one? How many steps are there? And as I dream and think and imagine, I begin to feel a little overwhelmed. Maybe I'm dreaming too big. Shoot for the moon, and if you miss, you'll land among the stars. But I don't even know that I could get near the stars much less the moon. So I tell myself to be realistic. Don't set expectations I can't meet. So I let the fear of failure and rejection get in the way. Oh the possibilities, but oh the disappointment if it falls through. Life has a way of knocking you down when you least expect it, so maybe if you don't rise up, you don't have to worry about being knocked down.

I received an unexpected knock two weeks ago and to be honest, I have had a harder time bouncing back than I thought I would. And for almost two weeks, I have felt like I just can't find my footing. And the possibilities and dreams start to dim a little. I begin to think, "Does this even matter? Is there any purpose or point? Is this even making a difference? Is this all in vain?"

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans." (Proverbs 16:3) Maybe this is where I go wrong. Maybe this is where we go wrong. Maybe this is the key to moon walking. Commitment. Commitment to the Lord. Stick to it. Stick through it. Commitment takes work. Naturally, we aren't committed people. Committed to our own plans and selfishness. Committed to taking the easy way out. Committed to giving up. But commitment means keeping your word. Doing what you said you would do. Following through no matter how overwhelming, difficult or discouraging it may be.

And I committed my plans to Him. Made a promise, and asked that He'd be glorified through it. Some days are hard. I get discouraged. I feel overwhelmed. And He knows that. So I've been praying and asking if this matters. If this commitment is making a difference, serving a purpose. And He answered in the most bizarre, unexpected way. For these plans, these little dreams, that have been committed to Him are being established by Him. And I'm grateful that although He could do it without me, He lets me be a part of something bigger than I would have ever dreamed.

#104 - Because He honors commitment.

"Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust him, and he will help you." - Psalm 37:5


Comments

  1. "And I committed my plans to Him. Made a promise, and asked that He'd be glorified through it. Some days are hard. I get discouraged. I feel overwhelmed. And He knows that."

    that is my fav part of this post. He does know! love it! thanks for the encouragement. :)

    love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts