Reason #105

Sometimes little things happen that test my emotions. Strong, undesired emotions. My blood pressure spikes in an instant and my heart rate speeds up. Kind of like a pump of adrenaline. My senses are heightened. The hair stands up on the back of my neck and I feel the sudden need to go into defense mode. Attack! Protect myself.

It happened today. Sitting at work, mindlessly wishing a friend happy birthday, and there it was... a test. And a flash of anger came over me. I wanted to scream and throw my phone. My heart began pounding. I didn't know what to do. These tests throw my brain into overdrive and I begin thinking. Thinking and worrying about things in which I have no control. Jealousy roared its ugly head. It is as if these tests are taunting me. Deceiving me into believing something that isn't true. Painting a picture of lies.

But isn't that what the enemy does to us? The father of lies, he most definitely is. Deception is his middle name. And he attacks when we don't expect it. Minding our own business and he shoots an arrow. I'm so caught of guard that I don't know what to do. Feeling cornered, my back begins to arch and my fist begin to clench. My breath shortens as my blood pumps, and he moves in closer and closer. I look at my wimpy arms and I don't think I have it in me. I start to cower, and even though I'm mad enough to start swinging, I'm really quite scared.

But I remember Job. A man who was blameless and upright. A man of integrity who feared God. And the enemy came and asked God's permission to test him. God allowed it. (Job 1&2) Job, minding his own business, and his family is taken. Job, minding his own business and his possessions are taken. Job, minding his own business and his fortune is taken. Job, minding his own business and his health is taken. And we see the enemy was allowed to do quite a bit, but he wasn't allowed to take Job. For the Lord spared Job, and even through it all, the Lord knew the outcome. Job would pass with flying colors and Job would be rewarded, too. But the tests came. The lies, the deception, the attacks. And Job got frustrated. Job was being pushed into a corner. The enemy was striking closer and closer, but Job was untouchable. Actually, Job was invincible because when "our God is for us, who can ever be against us?" (Romans 8:31)

And so, today, as I felt backed into a corner, once again, He reminded me that I, too, am untouchable. I, too, am invincible because my God is for me. Only the things He approves can happen to me. Outside from that, it's not allowed. So He did it again, and my song came on as I sat there with my blood boiling and my mind wondering. The song of victory. The one He always uses to let me know He's right there with me. And the cool thing about it is that I don't have to come out swinging hoping I can defend myself. Because, like Job, He has spared me time and time again.

He always knows the outcome...

#105 - Because the Lord is always on my side.

"My enemies will retreat when I call to you for help. This I know: God is on my side! I praise God for what he has promised; yes, I praise the Lord for what he has promised. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?" - Psalm 56:9-11

Comments

  1. Hi Brittnye! Thank you for dropping by Journal of Faith . . . there is a list of Followers "Sojourners" on the right hand side of my page. ;)

    I do not have "Hope Being Gone" as a print copy. It is only meant to be an ebook because it is a "short." I would be glad to email you the document for your reading if you'd like. ;) Just email me at: cheriehillemail(at)yahoo.com and I'll send it to you.

    So glad we connected! I'm sure you'll remind me of many reasons I need to smile! :)
    Blessings,
    Cherie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts