Reason #106

I always said I would never do it, and today, I did it. Something totally out of character. A rebellious streak. Unexpected. I got a tattoo. That's right, permanent ink on my skin. No, it didn't hurt and no, I don't plan on ever getting another one. My brother stood and held my hand for 4 minutes as Luis, the tattoo artist, drew a tiny little butterfly on the inside of my left wrist. My sister-in-law came for moral support too, and in fact, to show their support, they even got tattoos themselves! My brother is no stranger to tattoos. I remember how much he begged to get his first one. The nice thing about having an older sibling is that they break your parents in by doing everything first so that way, when you do it, it's not that big of a deal any more. And as my dear bother watched the permanent ink mark my skin, he was beaming with joy. A bonding moment for us, I suppose.

Yesterday, I decided to do it. Live a little. Make a new, good memory. The past few months have been flooded with memories. More bad than good. Today, it was time to add to the good memory pile. And though this may seem like a strange and possibly irrational way to do it, I actually have my reasons behind it.

I never thought I would get a tattoo because I didn't think that I could ever commit to having anything stuck on my body permanently. Plus, I know one day I'll "be old" and it will look silly. The good thing about this generation is that we'll all be olded and inked together so no one will think anything about it. But, like most people, I got this tattoo as a reminder, something meaningful to me.

Butterflies represent new life. Beauty. A beautiful creature born from something less desireable. A fuzzy little worm finds itself in a protective chrysalis and as it waits in that little shell, a transformation takes place. "Like other types of pupae, the chrysalis stage in most butterflies is one in which there is little movement. Within the chrysalis, growth and differentiation occur. The adult butterfly emerges from this and expands its wings... Although this sudden and rapid change from pupa to imago is often called metamorphosis, metamorphosis is really the whole series of changes that an insect undergoes..." (Wikipedia.org)

As I've walked this path, I have felt like a fuzzy little worm. A worm who has inched her way through the wilderness unsure of what's to come. A little worm filled with hope, and a little worm who is impatient. And now the chrysalis stage has begun and this fuzzy worm is waiting. Waiting, developing and changing. Ready to get out of this protective shell. But He has placed me in this protective shell for a reason and so I wait for my wings to develop. I wait because I know it will do me no good to try and force myself out until He's done working on me. I wait because it's safer here than flopping around with underdeveloped wings and no sense of direction. But I am filled with hope because I know what will come at the end of the metamorphasis. Strong wings, a different shape, a new look. Beauty. New life and new adventures. No longer will I be inching my way around, but I'll be soaring. A new perspective. A changed creature.

I did a study over the Israelites in the fall. As they inched their way through the wilderness, God did incredible things for them. Often times, He would have them create a little memorial at the place where His miracles happened. (Joshua 4) This was something they could pass by, look at, and remember His faithfulness and promises. And when others saw that memorial, they would get to hear of how God rescued, provided for, lead and redeemed His chosen ones. So my little butterfly is my memorial. A thing I can look at for the rest of my time on this earth and remember God's faithfulness. I can remember how He has resuced me and provided for me. When I see this little ink spot, I'll remember all He has done for me. He has given me a hope through this metamorphasis, this cycle of change, that the transformation will be something beautiful. A reminder that new life is on its way!

#106 - Because I am being transformed.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" - 2 Corinthians 5:17

Comments

Popular Posts