Reason #90

O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,

How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

It stormed last night. I'm not talking a nice, light rain. It was a light show outside. The rain fell with a vengeance from the sky and the thunder was so loud that it rattled the windows. A powerful storm. One that could not be ignored. A storm that was so desperately needed.

We've been in a drought. We've prayed for rain, hoped for rain, got excited over any potential of rain, but it seemed as if the rain always made its way around Lubbock. A chance of water, a glimmer of hope, only to be blown in a different direction by winds. Disappointment. Everyone else seemed to get the water we needed. Thirsty. The land has been thirsty. Crying out for moisture! Our bodies have even been crying out for moisture, too. Cracked skin, chapped lips, dry hands... we need rain. Most of Texas was burned up last summer. The fires ruined and destroyed, and the drought only aided the burning process. We needed rain last night... we needed rain last year.

And He sent rain on this dry and thirsty land. As I laid in bed, enjoying the sounds of the storm, I was reminded of His power with each lightning strike. The claps of thunder reminded me of His strength, His majesty. Oh, He knows how to get your attention! I love powerful storms because His splendor is displayed. The Creator, creating right in front of our very eyes. A masterpiece! We can wish for rain, ask for rain, but He's the one who sends it. He's the one who tells each lightning bolt when to strike and where to strike. Even in the storms, He's got a plan. Even in the storms, He's working. Even in the storms, He's designing. Ever-present through the storms.

“My heart pounds as I think of this.
    It trembles within me. 

 Listen carefully to the thunder of God’s voice
    as it rolls from his mouth. 

It rolls across the heavens,
    and his lightning flashes in every direction. 

Then comes the roaring of the thunder—
    the tremendous voice of his majesty.
    He does not restrain it when he speaks. 

God’s voice is glorious in the thunder.
    We can’t even imagine the greatness of his power.

- Job 37:1-5

And I suppose I was so grateful for the storm last night because not only was it was greatly needed, it was an answered prayer. It was a reminder, too, because I have faced many storms. Storms full of raging winds, pelting hail, and torrential down pour. And the cool thing about God, the one with the thundering voice, the lightning bolt thrower, is that He also speaks and the storms obey. Rain, rain, go away, come again another day. But if you go a while without a storm, a drought begins and so you find yourself praying for rain. Maybe even another downpour. And you wait... and you check the forecast...and you search the sky for a little gray cloud., find it, and the wind blows it elsewhere. But in His time, His perfectly planned time, He opens the Heavens and the rain begins to fall. Requested rain is always refreshing rain. And I tremble when I hear the loud thunder because I remember that it's Him speaking. Speaking over His creation as He refreshes it. Speaking loud enough so that we are sure not to miss it. Reminding creation who provides the rain, the moisture. Reminding creation of His presence throughout the storm. And I get a tiny glimpse of His power with each flash of light, fully knowing that were He to show me more than that, I wouldn't be able to handle it. But that thundering power, the power lighting up the sky, is the same power that is raining down on me. Staying with me through every storm. Working and moving to bring moisture to cracked, chapped, dry places. Giving life to the burned, singed areas. Allowing me an opportunity to witness His majesty, to be a part of something big, something I am incapable of doing on my own. An opportunity to receive another blessing straight from His hands simply because I asked for it. And this storm is a blessing, an answered prayer, and I want the rain to stay for a while.

 #90 - Refreshing, much needed storms.


"Who, then, can comprehend the thunder of his power? The thunder announces his presence... "(Job 26:14 & Job 36:33)

Comments

Popular Posts