Reason #80

I’m nosey, or maybe, to sound polite, I should say I’m attentive to details. No, I’m nosey. I want to know the details. I want all the information.

I wrote about changes the other night, and one of the many changes I’ve gone through is a name change. Yes, I have legally become me again. That sounds strange doesn’t it? I have taken back my maiden name, and I’ve done so for many reasons. So because I am a person who likes details and information, I’ll share why with you in case you, too, are like me.

#1) A name identifies you and tells others who you belong to.
#2) It was my name for 21 years so I’m still very used to it.
#3) ‘H’ gives you a good spot in line when having to stand in alphabetical order.
#4) It is easy to spell and pronounce.
#5) It sounds good with my first name.
#6) Because that part of my life is behind me now and I would prefer to leave it there.

Those who have come to know me in the past 3 years do not know me by my maiden name. Today, at work, I had multiple people call to see why my name changed and when it changed. Unfortunately, no one was able to draw a conclusion from my hinting answers so I just had to spit it out, and not only did I have to make them aware of my new status, I had to tell them how I achieved this status. And I wondered why they asked. Why do they care? Why can’t they just be like me and assume? But I realize when people assume, they assume the worst, and so I am glad they asked. I’m sure you’re reading this thinking, "It doesn’t sound like you’re glad they asked." But I am glad because it gave me an opportunity to share with them how God is working in my life. I was able to tell them that even though people make choices in life, His plan ultimately prevails. I was able to tell them that He is the provider and sustainer. I told them that He will bring good from this trial. I am not sure the full purpose behind it all, but He’s beginning to shed light and I see His goodness flooding through. And in all of this I have a choice because God gives us free will. I can choose to give Him the glory. I can choose to run to Him and seek His help. I can choose to trust Him and believe His promises, or I can choose to blame Him. I can choose to turn from Him. I can choose to be mad at Him. I can choose to not to believe Him. And so I not only choose the first 5 options, but I also choose NOT to be defined by my circumstances. I want Him to define me. I don’t want to be referred to as "Brittnye, the girl who is divorced." I want to be referred to as "Brittnye, the girl who chooses to trust God because He’s never failed her."

Because after all, people not only know us by our name, they know us by our actions, by what we’ve been through, and by how we live our lives. Who do people refer to you as?

#80 – Because He refers to me as His child no matter what others might refer to me as.

"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine." – Isaiah 43:1

Comments

Popular Posts