Reason #234

Labor Day. I always apprecaite a long weekend. I find it ironic that we don't work on Labor Day. Oxymoron. Anyhow, the day was filled to the brim with my favorite things. Favorite foods, favorite activities and favorite people!

I went on a walk with my mom tonight. Our original intent for going on a walk was to take Scout. When Scout was a puppy, she loved walks. In fact, like most dogs, she learned the word "walk" quickly, so we had to refer to walks as "W's." She was notorious for pulling on her leash, thus she spent most of the walk choking herself. I invested in a harness thinking that might do the trick, plus my dad convinced me that she needed one for her own well being. Well, Scout hates her walking harness with a passion. When she sees the harness, she cowers as if it is the most painful contraption known to mankind. Once she is strapped into the harness, she tucks her tail and stands as still as possible. I end up dragging her a few feet before giving in and leaving her at the house. The harness doesn't hurt her, and really, it's supposed to be better for her. Plus, I know once we get going, she'll enjoy the walk. Nothing has changed from our walks with the exception of the harness, but there is just something about that little harness that steals the joy and desire away from her. She wants nothing to do with it, refuses to move when it's on, and therefore, misses out on a really enjoyable experience and a potential adventure. 

And I thought about how often I do this is in my own walk with the Lord. Things change, circumstances change, and I don't always like them. And so I have my moments where I sit and pout, and I let my joy be taken away because I don't like this new thing, this new direction. Maybe, at one time I very much enjoyed what I had, but now it has been replaced and I'm just not having it. So, with stiff legs, I resist. Is this new thing bad? No. In fact, it's usually better for me. But it's different and so I get caught up in the differences and I just think I can't do it. I can't move forward because this is unfamiliar. I was used to some thing else and now I have to readjust. But really, I'm only hurting myself. I'm only holding myself back due to my stubborn ways. Because I refuse to give it a chance. I refuse to trust that this really is a better option for me and so I miss out. I miss out on an incredible experience because I'm digging in my heels. I miss out on an adventure because I am too concerned about my own feelings and thoughts.

But not everything has changed. I still have the same faithful Master walking with me. The same faithful God leading me forward. And this One has never done a thing to harm me. He has never taken anything away that He didn't replace with something infinitely better. And He has lovingly and patiently worked with me through every change I've faced. And so some times we just have to get used to new details in our walk. Some times, we just have to trust that this difference is for our benefit. And we move forward in faith, even if we don't always like it. Because it's worth it. It's worth the adjustment, it's worth the work, for nothing really is more enjoyable than walking through every phase of life, changes and all, with the One who will take you on an incredible adventure!

#234 - Because He always takes us on incredible adventures!

"Make me walk along the path of your commands, for that is where my happiness is found." - Psalm 119:35

Comments

Popular Posts