Reason #258

My mom, Scout and I went on a walk tonight. I love going on evening walks. Really, it is one of my absolute favorite activities. You can spend time enjoying fresh air without any distractions. Of course, for me, it's the perfect setting for a good conversation.

Today was the epitome of fall. It was cool and overcast, so the temperature outside was amazing. My parents invited me over to join them for taco soup and cornbread, and let me just say, it doesn't get much more "fall-ish" than that. After stuffing my stomach full of soup, I grabbed a jacket as we headed out to walk. It was pretty early, however, the sun was beginning to set, and mixed in with the storm clouds, we didn't have much light left. I couldn't help but think back to last fall, as this was what every evening looked like for me.

I am a creature of habit and I love routines. I thrive best when I know what to expect, however, I didn't have that luxury last fall, so it helped that I knew what to expect every evening. After dinner, my mom and I would bundle up and head out for a walk. It was dark but we didn't care. This was our time to talk. Our time to hash out our thoughts and try our best to figure out what to expect. We tried to come up with answers and somehow see God working in my cirucmstances. I would express my concerns to her. I would voice my broken heart and my confusion. I would spend time questioning and wondering and searching for something to hold on to, anything. And so, each night, our talks were slightly disheartening. Each discussion was filled with disappointment and discouragement. But we walked and we talked and we trusted that God had better things in store for me.

Tonight, we sat out on our walk with laughter in our voices and smiles plastered on our faces. Our conversation was full of joy and reflection. The more we reflected, the more our joy grew as we could see a night and day comparison from last fall to this fall. And we marveled at what all God has done. We discussed, with much excitement, about how He really has worked things out, and we were just amazed at how He brought about such good. Because He did have better things in store for me. He did have a plan through it all. And although we couldn't understand it last fall, He knew what He was doing. Although the turn of events didn't make sense at the time, He knew what was around the corner. So we sang His praises. We rejoiced at how God walked with us through the devastation last fall and how He is walking with us through the joy of this fall. What a difference a year can make.

As I got ready for bed tonight, the words from a old familar hymn came to my mind, and my heart felt nothing but gratitude as I sang them to myself. Because daily, He has walked with me. Whether I felt weak, burdened, troubled, scared, joyful, grateful, awestruck or humbled, He walked every step with me. And I realize with every walk, He pulled me closer, and I can honestly, truthfully say, each step was worth it.


I am weak but Thou art strong
Jesus keep me from all wrong
I'll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee
 
Through this world of toil and snares
If I falter, Lord, who cares?
Who with me my burden shares?
None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee
 
Just a closer walk with Thee
Grant it, Jesus, is my plea
Daily walking close to Thee
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be
 
#258 - Because He has made each step worthwhile.
 

"He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along." - Psalm 40:2
 


Comments

Popular Posts