Reason #246

Never say never. At least that's what they say. But sometimes, the things that are never supposed to happen actually happen. And sometimes, the things you think will never happen do happen. Never say never, because you never know.

And so we live in an ever changing world. A world where a lot of things happen. A lot of things take place. And although we like to try and predict as much as possible, really, life is unpredictable. We predict the weather, the stock market, fashion trends, the outcome of football games. But a prediction is a good guess. A hopeful shot in the dark. Because when you predict, you never really know what will happen.

My life is unpredictable, and for a predictable girl, that can cause some frustrations. I like constants. I do best with certainties. And so I've gone through life thinking, "This will never happen." And things happen so I think, "Well now, this will never happen." My predictions are way off. And I'm starting to realize this more and more. Starting to realize that just because you think something might never happen doesn't mean it won't. But maybe that's a defense mechanism. Maybe it's easier to place things in the "never" pile so that if it never happens, you won't be disappointed. If it never happens, you won't be let down. Predict the worse, and then if it turns out better, good! After all, no one is sad when the weather man predicts a tornado and a tornado never appears. In fact, they're relieved that he was wrong. Relieved that his prediction was incorrect. But sometimes he's right on target. It depends on a lot of factors, and we all know weather is never certain.

So as I got ready for bed tonight, as I began to unwind, I thought back through my day. I wake up each morning into a day of uncertainties. Sure, I have a general game plan and agenda each day, but I never really know what will take place. I never really know what to expect. So I make predictions, sometimes I'm right on target, sometimes I'm way off. But there are so many factors that can influence my day. So many little things that can happen. Things I don't plan for, things I can't predict. Over the past year, I've said never a lot. "This will never happen...this will never work out... things will never go in that direction...never, never, never." And here's the interesting part of it all, I've never been right. Nope, not once. And as I brushed my teeth, this song came on.

"Your love never fails, never gives up, never runs out on me..."
 
Never. Not happening. He is never going to stop loving me. He is never going to run out of love for me. He's never going to give up on me. No matter what uncertainties I face, no matter how off I am in my predictions, no matter how changing my circumstances are, He is constant. A never changing, never failing, never forsaking God. So it's nice to be able to know one thing for sure. To be absolutely certain. It's nice to know that I'll never predict incorrectly, that I'll never have to worry about this. This one thing, His love, it remains. Never going anywhere, never lessening, never disappointing.
 
Never.
 
#246 - Because His love never fails.
 
"Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." - 1 Corinthians 13:7
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts