Reason #239

It felt like fall today. I would say it didn't get above 80. It was cool and overcast, and I'll admit that I was a little sad it didn't rain. I don't wear jeans often. Really, the only time I wear them is if I know I may potentially get cold. So, with the cooler weather today, I decided I would wear jeans. I pulled out a pair of jeans that I haven't worn in a year and as I began pulling them on, I realized I was having a bit of a struggle getting them past my thighs. I wiggled and squirmed around my bathroom in order to fit my bottom half in the jeans and found that if I buttoned them, I was going to have a hard time breathing the rest of the day. And so, with much dismay, I peeled them off and went for the pair I knew would fit. I would be lying if I said this unfortunate event did not greatly affect my trip to the grocery store.

I don't particularly like going to the store. Clothes shopping, yes. Groceries, no. Because I am impatient when it comes to the store. I do not like dealing with crowds, and slow walkers are one of my biggest pet peeves. Give me a shopping basket and I am a woman on a mission. I know exactly that I want, where it's located, and I pride myself on getting in and out of the store as fast as possible. In fact, I organize the items by category so I can accomplish my mission without having to back track. But today was not one of those days. So I wandered around the store for at least an hour. I strolled up and down the aisles and ended up back tracking 3 times. Not my best trip by any means. But I went with a different mindset. I went with a different agenda.

I headed back to my car with bags full of vegtables and fruit. There was no sugar to be found. And I must say, eating healthy is expensive! It is really hard to change your eating habits... really, really hard. Because I just so happen to love sugar. Sugar and carbs and artifical sweetener. I would say those 3 things make up the majority of my diet. But I really do have good intentions. Really, I do. I desire to eat healthy, to consume my daily serving of vegtables and cut down on sugar, but I don't do it. And I realize I don't do it because I let my tastebuds control my decisions. They don't like broccolli, they don't have to taste it. They crave chocolate, they get it. And, as I was forced to admit today, good intentions are not going to help me fit into my jeans.

And so I was faced with a decision, a choice. I could continue to head down the path I'm going. I could continue to do what I've been doing for months now, which obviously isn't working and ultimately upsets me, or I could make a change. I could begin to deny myself of the things I know aren't best for me and start being intentional in my choices. So I did it. I chose to fill my squeaky grocery basket with things I know my body needs versus things I know my body wants. And I hope that, sooner then later, I will get the outcome I desire.

But I also see this vicious cycle in other areas of my life. I think Paul said it well when he said, "I don't understand myself at all, for I really want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do the very thing I hate." (Romans 7:15) And I can relate all to well to these words some days. Because I know what I should do. I know what would benefit my walk with the Lord. I know the choices I need to make to move me closer to Him, but I don't always do them. Why? Because I like to do what I want to do. And don't get me wrong, I have good intentions - great intentions. But good intentions don't get one very far. And so a choice must be made. Do I keep doing the things I don't want to do? Do I keep going down a path that leads me away from God, a path that keeps me stagnant or stunts my growth? Do I keep making decisions that will ultimately lead to disappointment? Do I keep on doing what I'm doing even though I know it's not working and it's not productive? Or, do I stop and begin to make intentional choices that will change my life for the better? Do I begin to walk towards Him, making decisions that will futher and deepen my relationship with Him? Do I deny myself of the things I know will pull me away or get me off track? Do I do what I want to do, or do I do what I know I should do?

And so I'm thankful that really, it is a choice. I'm thankful that all I have to do is pick the right option. Now, I realize it's easier said that done, but baby steps are a start. So we start somewhere. We come to a conclusion that what we're doing is not achieving the desired outcome and so our mindset must change. Our outlook, our thought process, our intentions, our direction, everything must change. And I'm grateful that we serve a God who really does want the best for us. One who will draw us closer when we draw close to Him. One who will keep us on the right path when we keep our focus on Him. And One who will love us every step of the way as we do our best to make the right choices. And over time, really sooner than later, if we stop doing what we want and start doing what we know He wants us to do, the outcome will be well worth it!

#239 - Because He always give us a chance to start making good choices!

"Who, then, are those who fear the Lord? He will instruct them in the ways they should choose." - Psalm 25:12

Comments

Popular Posts