Reason #352

I am not ready for Monday. Not ready one bit. Tomorrow I start my new job, which means tomorrow I am the "new girl." I hate that feeling. I do not like walking into a room full of people I don't know. Fortunately, I'm pretty outgoing and can hold a conversation with just about anyone, but I still get a little nervous. In my previous job, I was the first person to welcome the new people each week. I know how nerve-wracking it can be, so I went out of my way to make them feel as comfortable as possible. I'm really hoping that will be the case for me tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

Tonight, I got to wrap up the Christmas celebration week with a birthday! Today is my Nana's birthday. Yay! I love a good birthday party. Really, I love any occassion to celebrate. I come from a very celebratory family. As you've figured out by now, we never miss the opportunity to gather for a birthday or a holiday. And really, I think this is the way to do it. After all, we're never promised another birthday, and so they're worth celebrating each time one rolls around. Who ever gets to the end of their life and thinks, "I wish I would have not celebrated my birthday or the birthdays of my loved ones every year. I wish I wouldn't have spent so much time making sweet memories with my family...?" I'd venture to say you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with that mindset. Because when people are gone, our minds automatically go back to the big things. Birthdays, holidays, anniversaries. And when you remember that person, you are either grateful that you spent the last whatever occassion it was with them or you're left wishing you would have spent it with them. So I, for one, hope to go out on a good note and that my loved ones have lots of sweet memories to remember me by.

Anyhow, tonight we celebrated another year of life with Nana. I've mentioned my other grandparents before, but to clear up any confusion, Nana is my dad's mother. People have crazy names for grandparents now-a-days, but as a grandchild, I will say that it does help if they have different names. Makes explanations simpler. I have been fortunate to grow up knowing my grandparents really well. I haven't told you much about Nana, and so as it is her birthday today, I want to spend a little time giving you a glimpse into our relationship.

My Nana is a really strong woman. I didn't ever realize how strong she was until this past year. I'd like to think you never really know what a person is made of until you've either a.) walked very closely with them through a difficult situation or b.) you, yourself, have been through that same difficulty. And so my eyes were opened last year as I faced the same tragedy my Nana has faced, too. But here's the thing about my Nana, for as long as I've known her, she's been nothing but beautiful. A vibrant woman full of life and energy. By talking to her, you'd never know that she's been through quite a bit. Nana is a doll. She's funny to the core, witty as they come, tough as a boot, and she's sweet as pie.

When I was a little girl, my brother and I spent pretty much every weekend with her. We couldn't wait until Friday nights. My mom would drive us to the post office in Smyer and gladly pass us off to Nana. We'd spend the weekend getting spoiled rotten. We soaked up every moment with her, and I know she soaked up her time with us, too. We'd go to dinner, watch movies (ones that we probably shouldn't have watched but Kenlee would convince her they were fine), and stay up incredibly late. And then we'd get ready for bed. I remember watching her take off her make-up at night and rubbing Merle Norman creme all over her face. After she was ready for bed, I'd personally give her her vitamins by hand and then the three of us would crawl into her king sized bed and rest up for Saturday. Saturday morning we'd wake up and she'd fix us breakfast. She had these Mickey Mouse mugs that we loved! I wasn't a coffee drinker, I'm still not, so she'd make me hot chocolate. We'd get ready for our day, which usually consisted of baking 4-ingredient peanut butter cookies, bread in her bread maker, a shopping spree at the Dollar Store (my personal favorite) and then whatever else we wanted to do. It never got old. Our time with her was always anticipated and enjoyed. I could write a good few hours worth of funny memories I have with Nana. She was such a good sport and was always up for whatever we wanted to do. But isn't that the whole purpose of having grandparents? Isn't their job to just spoil their grandbabies and make fun memories with them? She was really good at her job, I'll say!

And so I was really grateful to celebrate another year with Nana tonight. I'm really glad to have her as a grandmother, too. Because this woman knows how to love and dote on her grandkids. If we ever needed a little extra TLC or an ego boost, we could count on Nana to supply it. Nana is a generous woman, always giving of herself, her time, and anything else you would want. And I feel so blessed to be her granddaughter. To have this woman's blood plusing through my veins. God knows what we need, what genes need to be passed on, and who needs to get them. He gave me a Nana who is a fighter. A strong, strong woman who doesn't give up. One who has always held her head high, maintained her poise, and walked through life with elegance and dignity. And God knew I was going to need that, too. He knew I needed a strong woman's genes mixed in with mine, and I'm so grateful He matched us up.

Grandparents are a pure blessing. They really are. There's nothing sweeter than the love of a grandparent. And I'm so glad I've been able to enjoy them all of my days. To have had them close by throughout the years. They've all played such a significant role in my life and have helped create so many sweet memories that I'll have forever. Tonight was another sweet memory I'm grateful to have. So Happy birthday, beautiful Nana! Thanks for so many years full of fun, laughter, and joy! I love you lots!

#352 - My Nana!

"She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future." - Proverbs 31:25

Comments

Popular Posts