Reason #328

Today was one of those days. A day where I needed a little extra encouragement and it came at just the right time. A day where I needed a little boost, and I received it right away. I've learned that if I don't start my day off by talking with the Lord and reading His word, I lose perspective quickly. I get discouraged easily. I feel defeated. And so I do my best every morning to taste of His goodness. I do my best every morning to include Him in my day. To ask for open eyes and an open heart, for ears that will hear and mind to understand it all.

He tells us to ask and we'll receive. And although it's a simple request, I ask for the same thing every morning. Because I don't want to lose sight of Him. I don't want to forget what His voice sounds like. I don't want to have a calloused heart. I'm human, through and through. Faulty as they come, and so I have to ask each day because I realize how lost I am without Him, how much of a mess I can get myself into when I'm not paying attention to Him.

Every morning I read the Proverbs 31 devotional. This actually came about last year, as I was starving to death for His word. I so desperately needed it, thrived on every bit of it, and couldn't get my fill of it. I craved His word, the truth, and sought it out wherever I could find it. Every morning I would pull up the devotional and it would speak directly to my heart. It would be the words I needed to hear to quiet my soul, to encourage me, to spur me on. Verses that uplifted me. But as time goes on and wounds are healed, dependence often returns. I mean think about it, when you have a broken leg, you depend on others to help you get around. You seek out help because you realize how helpless you've become on your own. The heavy cast weighs you down and you are grateful for any assistance you are offered. In fact, you gladly take it. But that cast comes off eventually and you quit seeking help, quit relying on others for assistance. You begin doing your own thing because it's easier and faster and you feel very capable. And that's how I become with God sometimes. Not that I don't want His help or that I am ungrateful for it, I just forget to seek it out because I feel better. I don't feel so weak, desperate and heavy laden. But God wants us to rely on Him always because truth of the matter is, we are weak and helpless creatures. And so, being reminded of that lately, I pulled up the Proverbs 31 devotional this morning and it was if it was written just for me. A prayer I prayed last night, my 327th reason, my worry and concern and there is was typed out for me. A big encouragement to remind me that God does not expect me to do life on my own. He stands ready to help, even if I don't feel I need it or am to afraid to ask for it. He is there to lend a hand and ease those burdens that weigh me down. And He wants to do that, desires to do that. Desires to take care of a really helpless girl who needs the help only He can provide.

And so I'm grateful that He answers my prayers every morning. That He graciously gives me eyes to see, ears to hear, a mind to understand, and a soft heart to accept His words. I'm grateful that He fins ways to speak encouragement to spur me on. That He doesn't leave me hanging but is there to help, always. And I'm thankful that I can depend on Him to do exactly that!

#328 - Because He gives me eyes to see, ears to hear, a mind to understand and a heart to accept His help!

"The Lord hears his people when they call to him for help. He rescues them from all their troubles." - Psalm 34:17

"The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving." - Psalm 28:7

"The humble will see their God at work and be glad. Let all who seek God’s help be encouraged." - Psalm 69:32

Comments

Popular Posts