Reason #413

I'm becoming friends with my customers. I've been waiting for this to happen. I have now been at my job for 2 months, which has passed very quickly, and so I'm not the new face anymore. People are now actually waiting to see me, and I always feel appreciative for that.

I've gotten to know one of my customers quite well over the past few weeks. Mr. H has come into the bank multiple times, and we've talked on the phone a few times a week. He is such a kind man, and is very patient. He's quickly turning in to one of my favorites. Anyhow, today he brought his wife with him. He introduced her to me by saying, "This is Mrs. H, my wife of 54 years." Melt my heart! That was probably one of the sweetest introductions I've ever heard. And so for the next 20 or 30 minutes as I worked on their stuff, they told me about their lives. I watched them interact with one another, amd my heart just continued to melt. The way the spoke to each other, the way he looked at her, the way she confidently smiled at him. It was precious. And I was thankful to be witnessing this because it was so encouraging. In a world where forever doesn't really mean forever, these people were really living out the true definition. Spending 54 years with someone can't be the easiest task, but you could tell that their love had grown sweeter and stronger over time, and there definitely wasn't anything that was going to come between them, that's for sure!

They aren't the only couple like this I've worked with. I have a few, and they always make a point to tell me how long they've been married. I am always so thankful that that is what they know. I'm thankful that they know what forever means, that they know what true love is, that they have someone who has stood by their side in sickness and in health, for better or for worse. I'm glad they've experienced devout loyalty and commitment. They should be proud of themselves, they should brag a bit about their success because in a world that just doesn't get it, these people do.

Today, moving one month closer to May, I was encouraged to visit with Mr. and Mrs. H. And here's what I thought, I can't wait until one day I get to sit at a desk as a retiree and tell some young person that I've been happily married for over 50 years. I very much look forward to accomplishing that. And I'm so grateful, that in full confidence, I can make that statement. I'm thankful that God has been so kind and gracious to bless me with someone who gets it. Someone who has the same definition of forever as I do and is as determined as I am to make that happen. I count myself blessed and lucky beyond belief. I know it won't be easy, the good things never are. In fact, the good things in life require the most work. But it'll be worth, I just know it. I could see it in their eyes, and I know they wouldn't take back any of those 54 years for the world. Joy, sorrow, difficulties, celebrations, trials, successess, loss and gains, I bet the H's would say they'd do it all over again given the chance.

So I'm grateful for a chance to experience this. For a chance to get to start my forever on May 10. And I'm grateful that God is a God of forever, too. Forever and always, even until the very end.

#413 - For a chance to experience forever.

"You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever." - Psalm 16:11

Comments

Popular Posts