Reason #430

A man walked into the bank this morning and I knew that I knew him from somewhere. I racked my brain as fast as I could while he approached my desk. As soon as he sat down, it hit me. Counselor Mark. This was the man I spent a few months with trying to sort out my wrecked life. A man who had given me words of wisdom and bits of clarity. And let me just say, there's nothing wrong with seeking counsel. Some people feel ashamed to sit in a counselor's office as if they're broken or defective, but that's not the truth. Some times we just need an outsider's help. We need guidance from someone who is wise enough to give it without bias. And how relieving it is to sit in front of someone and know that you can tell them any and everything that's on your heart and they won't judge you. They won't react with shock or horror, rather, they'll calmly walk you through it. They'll help you come to a conclusion while giving you a different perspective. And so while many might view this as a sign of weakness, I believe that it takes a very strong and brave person to seek out help.

Counselor Mark introduced himself to me and I quickly said, "I'm Brittnye" with an acknowledging head nod. Of course, it's not like there aren't a billion Brittnye's in the world, but I just knew he had to remember me. He looked at me with an acknowledging smile and he said "I know." Part of me wanted to tell him everything that has transpired in my life since the last time we talked. I wanted to tell him how God had worked everything out for my good. How He had been faithful to redeem my situation. How He had answered my prayers and blessed me beyond belief. I wanted Counselor Mark to know how God had healed me. How He has been using my testimony and how good life has been to me. But Counselor Mark didn't ask. He didn't pry or even linger to find out. He finished his transaction and out the door he went. And tonight, as I washed my face before bed, I thought back over my day. I thought about Counselor Mark and I remembered what he had told me.

During one of our sessions I told him I just didn't know what to do. I didn't know what more I could do. I was triyng everything humanly possible to do what I felt was right at the time but it just seemed to be back-firing. Everything I was doing was blowing up in my face. And so the logical side of me thought I was wasting my efforts while the emotional side of me thought I wasn't doing enough. I couldn't pick sides and I needed someone to help me make a decision. Logical or emotional, I didn't know which way to go. Finally, Couselor Mark said, "Brittnye, you need to live in the hope you have." And so for the next few months I lived in that hope. The hope that God was going to make everything alright. The hope that God was going to eventually intervene and turn things around. The hope that He would somehow, someway, pull me through.

Live in the hope you have. And as I thought about that advice tonight, a song came to mind.

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness
I dare not trust the sweet frame
But wholly lean on Jesus' name

When darkness veils His lovely face
I rest in His unchanging grace
Through every high and stormy gale
My anchor holds with in the veil

His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood
When all around my soul gives way
He then is all my hope and stay

When He shall come with trumpet sound
Oh may I then in Him be found
Dressed in His righteousness alone
Faultless to stand before the throne

On Christ the solid rock I stand
All other ground is sinking sand
All other ground is sinking sand

Couselor Mark knew. He knew where I was placing my hope and he knew I was going to be okay. At the time I wasn't sure what he meant by saying that, but I get it now. He was saying, "Brittnye, live in the hope you have because the one in whom your hope is placed isn't going to let you down. He is going to carry you through it. He has given you abundant life and it's far from over." And I'm thankful for that. Thankful that I can freely and confidently live in the hope I have because my hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness. And so this is one of those truths to hang on to. One of those phrases to remember. Because when we hope in Him, regardless of what we face, we know we can live through it and live abundantly.

#430 - Because when our hope is placed in Him, we will find abundant life!

"No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his great strength. A horse is a vain hope for deliverance; despite all its great strength it cannot save. But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love, to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine. We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield. In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name. May your unfailing love be with us, Lord, even as we put our hope in you." - Psalm 33:16-22


Comments

Popular Posts