Reason #425

Do you ever have those days where your brain has had it? It's mush and you're just glad that breathing is second nature. On days like today, I'm thankful for muscle memory.

I always pray that God will open my eyes to see Him each day. That He would teach me something about myself, about Him, about His love. Anything. And we have something to learn every day. We never have it all down or figured out. So whether it be through nature, through His word, through people, creation, the medium doesn't really matter. God can use anything to teach you and when you have a willing spirit, it makes the process much easier. Truthfully, God speaks to me in such simple, easy to understand ways, but maybe that's just because I'm often times a simple-minded girl.

I had lunch with my mother-in-law-to-be today. She's wonderful, and if you have a Godly, kind, genuine and accepting mother-in-law, give her a hug and thank her. It makes a world of difference, let me tell you. Anyhow, she's a conversationalist as I am so we had plenty to discuss today. She made a statement that I have seared into my mind. It's one of those things you hear once and you never forget. She said, "I'm so glad that I am not God. I'm thankful that I am not the one who has to sit in the judgement seat." Yep, that's one of those statements that takes your breath away as you quickly realize how often you get yourself confused with Him. And so I let those words settle in, and I began to mull over that thought.

Just who, exactly, do we think we are? Have you ever asked yourself that before? You know who I find myself being so often? I find myself being one of those people with the stone in hand, winding up and waiting to pitch it. One of those who has decided how things are going to play out. I find myself fighting to be captain of the ship. Deciding who should do what, when they should do it, and how they should do it. Calling the shots on the route that's taken and where the final destination is. I find myself thinking that my way is the only way and the right way, too. That my thoughts are always correct, that my opinions are completely valid, that my ideas are the best, and my feelings are all that matters. I find myself determing the outcome for others. Arguing why they deserve what I feel they deserve, how they should be perceived, and how they should be treated. I find myself trying to plead my own case, defend my own self, yet prosecute everyone else. And I find myself trying to crawl in that seat where I most definitely do not belong.

What a job to have. To decide how the cards are going to fall. To make not only right decisions but just decisions every single time. To rule without bias, listen to each case and determine a fair outcome. To chart out paths, to be responsible for calling all the shots, for carving out the route, for determining the time and place in which all things will fall. To look at every heart, know every story, hear every plea and do what's best rather than what is wanted. And, then, to keep the world in motion. To control the atmosphere, hold back the waters, be aware of all movement, mindful of every prayer. To walk through each cirucmstance, to wipe away every sin, to redeem brokenness, to give life, to build up and tear down, to keep hearts beating, and to have a plan in place for every millisecond of every day.

Yea, I'm definitely thankful I'm not God. I'm thankful none of us are. For as hard of a time as I have managing myself, I'm grateful that I don't have to be in charge of all of humanity from the beginning of time through eternity. And I'm thankful that He does everything right. Thankful that He is more than capable of getting the job done and doesn't need my assistance, either. My job is to worship Him. To honor Him, reflect Him, obey Him, and show His love. And so maybe we need to simply focus on doing our job rather than His,  put down our stones and just do the things He asks us to. I think we're better qualified for that anyway.

#425 - Because He continues to teach me that He is God.

"Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. Remember, Lord, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old. Do not remember the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you, Lord, are good." - Psalm 25:4-7

Comments

Popular Posts