Reason #428

This time last year I was on my way home from Hungary. I remember the trip home very well despite the many time zone changes and jet lag. I got home and it was warm. The trees had begun blooming and the grass was sprouting patches of green. It was a beautiful day, and it totally warmed my heart. Sure signs of spring mean sure signs of new and continued life.

Life goes on. Days pass quickly. Some days I would like to pause and stretch the day out for a bit. Some days are seemingly perfect. Today was one of those days for me. The weather was incredible. I pulled on my sundress this morning and chose not the wear a cardigan. It was that warm. Warm enough to sport bare arms and shoulders. Warm enough to strap on sandals. Warm enough to plant flowers in my flowerbed (which Aaron sweetly did for me), and warm enough to turn on the fan.

I greatly apprecaite days like today. The fact that yesterday was comparable only adds to my appreciation. Because months of cold, months of darkness, months of bare land and dry weather can begin to wear on you quite a bit. I don't like the months when the sun is down before dinner is served. The months where I have to keep a protective shield over the waterhose faucet outside because it's too cold. Months where chillbumps are permanent fixtures on my legs. Months when fruit is out of season and my carpet is sprinkled with dead grass.

And so days like today remind me that redemption is always around the corner. There is always an end and better things follow. Nothing lasts forever, and when it comes to winter, I'm really grateful for that. Glad to feel the heat of the sun on my skin, to be able to sit out side and eat ice cream in the evenings with a boy I love a whole lot, to take Scout on a walk at a leisurely pace, to see flowers blooming and life returning. Glad to know that it's only going to keep getting better. Sure, we'll have horrifically windy days mixed in, dirt storms, and the occasional tornado warning, but it will still be spring and the beautiful days are more prevalent now.

Life works the same way, too, I've decided. Spring is lovely, spring is crazy, but the good thing is that spring is upon us now. The winter has passed, and even if those yucky days pop up every now and then, we just remember that things will be differently shortly. We anticipate the next beautiful day knowing that the wait isn't so long anymore, and how encouraging to know that sunny days are not too far around the corner now.

#428 - For beautiful, warm, sunny days!

"Let the name of the Lord be praised, both now and forevermore. From the rising of the sun to the place where it sets, the name of the Lord is to be praised." - Psalm 113:2-3

Comments

Popular Posts