Reason #491

Our furniture was finally delivered today. Two and a half months after we ordered it, it's finally here. Aaron has been a trooper as he has been patiently waiting for me to clear out space for him. He has been living out of boxes for longer than we hoped for, but that changed today. We still have quite a bit of work left, but today was our working day and I'm thankful it's finally bed time.

I had to work today. When I came home, the house was totally rearranged. New furniture had been moved in and the old furniture was gone. Bedrooms were switched out, and I was amazed that in the 4 short hours I was away, all of this was accomplished. And so after spending the afternoon running errands and spending gift cards, we decided to hang shelves and art work. Aaron is quite handy, I must say. I, on the other hand, am pretty clumsy and useless when it comes to heavy lifting and tool usage. I can paint walls and I can hammer a nail into the wall to hang a picture but that's about it. I don't measure, I don't level, I just eyeball everything I do. Obviously, it only made sense that I be of assistance tonight. Aaron, who has much patience, was kind to let me assist in shelf hanging and even taught me a few things. He let me drill a few holes in the wall, which I did... sort of... with his help. After shelf one was up, I felt confident I could do most of shelf two. Shelf two did not go as smoothly. After letting the shelf bracket slip multiple times and getting the drill stuck in the wall, I decided I would just let him finish the shelf without my assistance, as I was getting in the way more than anything. And so, as I began to get off the bed, where I had been standing, I managed to fall, knock over the night stand, break a lamp, and put a knot on the side of my knee. At least I could provide some comedic relief... and more work for Aaron.

I like to help when I can, but sometimes I just don't know what I'm doing. There are a lot of things in life that I don't understand, don't know how to do, don't think I can do, and am a little scared to try. But every once in a while, I get asked for help. I'm probably least effective when it comes to physical labor, as was quite obvious today, but I do what I can. And honestly, I appreciate being asked. I appreciate getting to be a part of the changes rather than being pushed to the side, overlooked, and underestimated. I also appreciate patience and understanding. Help doesn't always come in the form we'd like or expect, and so you have to learn to either work with what you've got or teach your helper what to do. And I just think about how often the Lord lets me help Him. I won't lie, I'm not the best helper. I trip and fall and do things I shouldn't. I say the wrong words, think the wrong thoughts, have trouble getting the picture, and am far from capable yet He still allows me the opportunity to work with Him. To be a helper, to have a part in something else, something bigger than what I could do on my own. It's those times, when you feel like you have no clue what to do, that you learn the most. Thankfully, He is a patient teacher and is slow to anger. And thankfully, He doesn't give up on us if we make a mess or cause more work. Rather, He works with us, getting us back to where we need to be. Teaching us what we need to know, preparing us for the task at hand, and staying by our side the whole time to ensure that we can do it.

#491 - For opportunities to learn, to help, and to be a part of something bigger!

“Look, God is all-powerful. Who is a teacher like him? No one can tell him what to do, or say to him, ‘You have done wrong.’ Instead, glorify his mighty works, singing songs of praise." - Job 36:22-24

Comments

Popular Posts