Reason #494

"Every story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite."

Aaron's aunt gave us a beautiful plaque with this saying for a wedding gift. It's gracing my night stand, and I couldn't have said this better myself. I've talked a lot about stories, and my story in particular. I've told you bits and pieces, you've learned about my friends, my family, my struggles, my victories. And the story keeps on going. The cool thing about it is that I'm not the only one with a story either, and it really is amazing how so many of our individual stories often collide.

Big decisions and life changes are tough. I always talk about how change seems to be inevitable for me, but I really think that's the case for everyone. Just when I think things have settled down, change comes rolling around and more adjustments have to be made. Life's way of keeping you on your toes I suppose. Anyway, it's the changes and decisions that determine how your story is going to go. The whole course of your story is based on the choices that you make. And that's one of the hardest things about becoming an adult. Because for a while, other people are determining your course and writing your pages for you. Yet there comes a day when you're the one calling the shots. You're the one deciding where to do, when to go, how to get there, and what you're going to do. And, ultimately, you're the one who has to deal with the choices that you made.

Sometimes our choices are permanent and significantly life altering. Sometimes they are minor and insignificant. Sometimes they're wrong, sometimes they're right, and sometimes you just have to go with your gut and hope for the best. And so they are recorded as made, one at a time in your story book, and of course we just have to wait and see what finally comes about.

For a long time, I regretted my choices because I really disliked how my story was turning out. I would think back over the decisions I made and I would replay them in my mind. Where did I go wrong? What should I have done differently? Why did I do that? Why did I agree to that? How come I ever thought that in the first place? You get where I'm going with this. Anyway, it took me some time to see how all of the choices were writing a beautiful story, but it finally began to take form and become clear. And tonight, I had dinner with Lauren. As I told her about how our first few weeks of marriage have gone, my heart was so full. I told her that I couldn't believe how amazing marriage really is. To have someone who fiercely loves you, who will stand by you no matter what, who tries with all their might to be the best mate possible day in and day out, who puts your interests above theirs, who guards you and wants to take care of you, and who is proud of you and makes it well known just blows my mind. And yet I've got this. God, who is so gracious, took my choices and decisions and He wove them together to create this incredible story. And it wasn't just my decisions either, it was Aaron's decisions, too. Different decisions and choices, two different stories, and yet they collided into one that very Sunday in July when we both made the decision to meet for lunch at Orlando's.

So you see, sometimes you're faced with decisions and it doesn't really seem like there's a super clear option. And so you just have to do what you think is best at the time. And that's one of the things I really love about the Lord, He will let you choose. He will let you have a say in how your story goes, and the most wonderful thing of all is that if you'll let Him, He'll take whatever decisions and choices you've made and He will turn them into a beautiful story, too. A story that will, most likely, be your favorite!

#494 - Because He has given us a beautiful story that really is my favorite!

"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen.  If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. I will be found by you,” says the Lord. “I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and will bring you home again to your own land.” - Jeremiah 29:11-14

Comments

Popular Posts