Reason #560

I love seeing people outside of work. It's always surprising to find them acting like, well, people, rather than bosses, co-workers and employees. I like unexpectedly running into them at the store when they are buying food like the rest of the world does, at Home Depot getting plants for their garden, at restaurants eating dinner, or casually shopping to kill time. It's strange to see them in "normal clothes," too. And sometimes, if you're lucky, you catch them without make-up on or their hair done. If you know me, this is usually how I spend my Saturdays. My co-workers probably wouldn't even recognize me in the least. But I think the reason I like this is because when you are away from work, you're all the same. You're all consumers, customers, citizens, and residents. No one is in charge, no one is calling the shots, and titles don't matter outside of work. People are people regardless of where they are, but sometimes you see a different side of them in the office than what you see when they are out in the world.

We had an employee party tonight. I learned how to play poker, and had a pretty good stroke of beginner's luck. Of course, it helps when you aren't playing with real money. But what I found to be the most entertaining part of tonight was getting to see the people I work with outside of work. Getting to see them in outfits they wouldn't normally wear. Trading it suits and ties for shorts, and blouses and skirts for tank tops. I saw them behave completely differently than they do Monday through Friday from 8:00 - 5:00. I met their spouses, I watched them interact with one another, and I saw them from a different view point. And as I came home tonight and thought back through my day, I couldn't help but think about this.

I don't know how to say this in a nicer, more gentle, more tactful way, so I'm just going to say it. Pull your toes in if you're sensitive because I may step on one or two. But why is it that we have a hard time being consistent in all walks of life? That we can compartmentalize our day and act one way here and another way there? And depending on the day of the week, we'll act this way or that way. We show one side of ourselves in a particular place, while showing another side of ourselves elsewhere. We're multi-faceted people, I suppose you could say, and I really struggle with this. I struggle with knowing how to act, with not fitting in. I suppose, more plainly put, I struggle with feeling like an odd ball or a complete weird-o. And maybe that's my problem, but it just seems tiring to be so different all the time. To me, it just makes better sense to be you all the time. To act like your true self no matter where you are. Because when you do that, there are no surprises. And when you do that, you never have to worry about who you may run into.

I remember as a child and teenager being told that "Jesus is watching." True statement. Of course back then it was used as a way to combat any bad behavior, But He is watching. And I struggle so often with really wanting to please other people. With wanting to be noticed and rewarded. With wanting certain people to see that I did this, know that I achieved that. I want them to understand what I can do, and acknowledge it, too. I want attention, I want to be noticed, and I want to stand out. But I have been reminded again and again over the week that we shouldn't live our lives to please man, to win their approval. We should live our lives for the Lord... all the time. We should work for His approval. We should be way more concerned what He thinks about us rather than what people think about us. Because in the end, when we're all standing before Him, we're the same. He isn't concerned about who wore a tie to work, and who didn't. The title you were given doesn't matter anymore. The amount of money you had is insignificant to Him. Your house, your car, your personal connections, all irrelevant. And if we live for these things, we'll regret it in the end. Unfortunately, the world makes this so enticing that it's hard to really grasp that concept. And so here I am, being completely honest, saying that I wish I didn't care. I wish it didn't matter to me if I ever received praise from another human being. I wish I could say I didn't care whether or not anyone ever noticed me or my efforts. But the truth is, I do. I want attention just as much as the next guy.

And so I'm trying to learn. Trying to remember that the Lord sees everything (good and bad) and that's what really matters. In the end, that's what counts. He sees our multi-faceted ways, and He knows how we present ourselves in every setting. And so at the risk of being different, of being the odd ball, of appearing "straight-laced and super-conservative... maybe even boring," I'm just trying to live for the Lord. I'm trying to not do everything in my power to get noticed by others (even though I'd really love that). To not go the extra mile solely for the fact that someone will see it, tell me that I did a great job, and pass on the good word. No, I'm just trying my best to be Brittnye. Whether I'm at home, not at home, at work, or out and about, I'm just trying to keep it the same. To show my true colors no matter where I am. Because although I know the Lord is watching, I don't know who else is. And I figure if I can just be real, be the same, and do my best to be a reflection of the Lord, I can't go wrong.

#560 - Because He is consistent and is always the same, so we are never caught off guard or surprised by His ways.

"And he who is the Glory of Israel will not lie, nor will he change his mind, for he is not human that he should change his mind!” - 1 Samuel 15:29

Comments

Popular Posts