Reason #565

I got to extend my birthday celebration tonight. We had bible study, and Aaron made a point to go decorate the room and have a cake. It was sweet to get to celebrate with my friends that could make it, and it was super sweet that Aaron went out of his way to surprise me with an extra day of celebration.

I just have to brag on Aaron a bit. I know you may get tired of reading the weekly "my husband is amazing" post, so if that's the case, you should stop reading now. If you are okay with another sappy post, then continue.

Last year, Aaron and I were just getting to know one another when my birthday rolled around. I remember it well because I wondered if we'd actually do anything for my birthday. We were at that point where we liked each other but we weren't 100% sure if it was really going anywhere yet. And, unfortunately for Aaron, he met me a few weeks before my birthday. So, he could either look like an insensitive, careless person and ignore the fact that this girl he just met was having a birthday, or he could just take a chance and get me a gift, thus earning some brownie points. Either way, I was fine. I didn't expect anything since we had just met, after all. And so, in an attempt to hang out with him, I called him that afternoon just to see what he was up to. I was calling with the hopes that he would initiate a place and time for us to meet up. After beating around the bush for a bit, I finally told him I was about to go grab some lunch and if he was hungry, he was welcome to join. Thank goodness he agreed.

We sat in the back corner of Jason's Deli eating the same meal we eat every time we go. We talked about all sorts of really random things, and it was a good time. Right before we left, he said, "I've got a gift for you." I was really surprised. I wondered what it would be. We had talked a lot, but he didn't know me that well yet, so I was curious to see what he came up with. Aaron had made some mental notes as we had already successfully completed a few dozen, lengthy conversations at this point, and he came up with something thoughtful and memorable. Things we had talked about that he intentionally sought out for me. And he wrote me this really sweet card that had owls on the cover. I don't think he knew it at the time, but if it has an owl on it, I'm going to buy it. And so I was completely shocked and blown away by this. The fact that a guy I didn't really know all that well would take the time to get me a personal, well thought out gift, that he would spend his money on a girl who he may or may not even be talking to within a few weeks, that he would write such sweet words in a card for me to keep forever, and that he would make me feel so special after just knowing me for a few short weeks.

I didn't imagine that I would be celebrating my next birthday with Aaron as his wife. He didn't see that one coming either. And so I wondered again how it would be. Would it be very eventful, simple, extravagant, or non-existent? I didn't know what was planned, but I knew he'd come up with something. I have to say, he did a wonderful job. He incorporated all the things I love into the day, and I couldn't have had a better birthday celebration. But what meant the most to me was not necessarily the gift, the dinner, the flowers, or the cake, but the fact that Aaron would go out of his way to make sure it was a memorable birthday. That he would schedule and plan out every single detail perfectly. Because sure, we could have come home and grabbed a pizza, sat on the couch, watched a movie and called it a night, which would have been totally fine with me, but Aaron didn't settle for fine or good enough. He went above and beyond anything I would have thought or expected, knowing what I liked and keeping me in mind the whole time, and it was just perfect in my opinion. A wonderful way to start out my 26th year of life, and I couldn't be more grateful that I got spend it with him.

Sometimes I look at Aaron and I become overwhelmed with emotion. How did I end up snagging this man as my husband? Why was the Lord so gracious to give me Aaron? He is everything I wanted, everything I needed, and everything I didn't even realize I needed. Yet I realize that with as much detail and intention as Aaron used to plan out my birthday, the Lord did the same thing for us. Keeping us in mind, knowing the things that we both wanted and needed, being faithful to meet our heart's desires and bring us joy, He crossed our paths. And sure, Aaron is Godly, thoughtful, handsome, funny, kind, generous, patient, smart, hard working, talented, loyal, and kind hearted, but what really gets me the most about him is how he loves me. How he makes it a point to love me in the way I need to be loved rather than how he wants to show love to me. How he does his best to learn me, my thoughts, my emotions, and my desires. How he doesn't try to change me or force me into being someone I'm not, or into someone he wants me to be, but how he does his best to love me for me. How he works with me, forgives me, encourages me, and supports me. It's these things that overwhelm me. Because anyone can spoil someone with gifts. Anyone can spend their bank account in an attempt to bring joy, but it doesn't work that way. Because things are things. And twenty years from now, I won't be wearing the watch that Aaron gave me because it will probably be out of style by then. I won't remember what I ate for my birthday dinner or how it tasted. I won't remember the type of flowers that he sent me, or the color of the icing on the cake he bought me. But I'll remember how I felt because of what he did for me. I'll remember how much thought and care went into making the day just right. I'll remember how loved I felt because of the way he carefully planned out the day, and I'll always remember that it was a really good birthday.

#565 - Because He has given me a husband who knows how to love me.

"The Lord will work out his plans for my life—for your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever." - Psalm 138:8

Comments

Popular Posts