Reason #564

Just when I thought today couldn't get any better, it rained! Twenty six years ago, I'm sure it was hot as fire, just like it is every August. Another birthday, another added blessing. It seems like just yesterday I was celebrating 25. This year has not bothered to take its time one bit. It's flying by, and I have a feeling we'll start buying Christmas present in another week.

My day was full of sweet surprises. I received a beautiful bouquet of pink flowers at work this morning from Aaron, and then my mom popped in at lunch and surprised me with a beautiful bouquet of sunflowers. I mean, really, how lucky am I to receive such treatment? Anyway, one of my co-workers asked my mom if she remembered what she was doing at noon 26 years ago and my mom replied, "I was cleaning the house so that it would be clean when we brought Brittnye home." If you know my mom, this is no surprise. She is queen of keeping a house clean and tidy. Go figure that she would spend her last few hours of pregnancy vacuuming and dusting. Well, mom, I appreciate it. Even though I don't remember it as clearly as you do, everyone loves coming home to a clean house!

I have a lot of things to be thankful for today. I'm thankful for my sweet friends and family who have sent me a lot of well wishes. For my wonderful husband who went above and beyond to fill my day with sweet things and spoil me rotten. A Heavenly Father who has given me another year of life. But I suppose when every birthday rolls around, I have to thank my parents. Were it not for those two, I wouldn't be here at all. Were it not for the fact that they made a decision to start a family, to have a second child, to actually give birth to that child, and to raise her and love her in incredible ways, I wouldn't be celebrating 26 like this.

Have you ever wondered how you got to be who you got to be? Why you were chosen to be born into a certain family, to go through certain circumstances, and to evolve into the person you are? I think about that sometimes. I wonder why my life has gone the direction it has. Because truth be told, it seems like I had an advantage long before I entered into this world because for some reason, the Lord saw fit to bless me with the parents I have. Parents who were bound and determined to give their children the best they could. Who promised to love their kids even when they acted unlovable. Who committed to providing for their children even if it meant that they, themselves, went without. Who decided that they would not only raise their children in church, but would also teach them about Jesus and let them know how much He loved them. Parents who made sure their children were clothed, well fed, well behaved and educated. Parents who took full responsibility for raising their children right rather than relying on TV or other people to do the raising. Parents who taught us wrong from right. Who instilled character, values, and morals into the lives of their kids not just by word but by example. And most of all, parents who loved one another and stayed committed to one another so that their children could grow up in a healthy, safe, loving environment. And that right there is how I got to be here. Not because I am perfect (I'm definitely not), not because I have really good luck or fortune (I don't), not because I've done everything right (which I haven't), or because I've only made good decisions (wrong). I'm here today because the Lord gave me really good parents who have walked with me through every phase of life, loved me through the ups and downs, supported me always, taught me well, gave me guidance and help when needed, covered me in prayer, and have always been there for me no matter what it might cost them.

Mom, Dad, I don't think I would have made it this far without you. Every year I become even more grateful that you took a chance, became parents, and gave me the opportunity to live this life. Because of your faithfulness to the Lord, my life has been blessed. And because of your faithfulness to the Lord, my children's lives will be blessed. So thank you. Thank you for bring me home 26 Augusts' ago. Thank you for raising up your children in the way that they should go so that we could know the Lord and know the joy and beauty of being His children, too. I'm sure you had your days where you wondered why you chose that path. Why you created two little beings who probably drove you crazy more often than you imagined. Little people who took and took and took some more, and who drained your energy, bank account, and patience level. But I hope now, that you see the fruits of your labor. I hope that you see that all of your hard work paid off. Because it did.. Were it not for you, I wouldn't be the person I am today, and I just don't even want to think about that. I could never thank you enough for all you've done over the past 26 years of my life. Each one has gotten sweeter, and I can't even imagine how this next year could possibly get better.

One day, Aaron and I will be in the same shoes you were in 26 Augusts' ago. One day we'll wonder how people do this parenting thing. But because of having parents like you, parents who didn't quit when the going got hard, who never gave up, who persevered and who worked as a team, we'll do our best to follow in your footsteps. Thank you for being a Godly example, for always being faithful, for selflessly loving me, and for being, hands down, the best parents that ever lived.

#564 - For parents who gave me the opportunity to live life 26 years ago.

"Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it." - Proverbs 22:6

Comments

Popular Posts