Reason #588

Today we drove to Dallas for our first annual Davis Family Labor Day weekend. Of course, it was just me and Aaron, but we're family so it counts. Anyway, we decided we'd take the opportunity to get out of town as much as we can. There's just something about being out of your normal element that really helps you deepen your relationship. Maybe it's because you realize that it's just the two of you. You're reminded of how big the world is, and you're forced to work as a team since you're literally spending the entire time together.

As we drove, we listened to the first Tech game of the season. Oh, football season. Countless people have been waiting for this day since the bowl games ended in January. And there's nothing like a football game to really get your blood pumping, good or bad. It amazes me how much attention is paid to sports. People can tell you about games from years ago, they can tell you the score, the players and that one magical play that made the game so memorable. And as we drove on, listening to the announcers give us the play by play, I thought about the football memories from my own life.

I knew absolutely nothing about football until my freshman year in high school. That was my first year to cheer, and so I had to at least learn the difference between defense and offense. It took a few games before I got it down, but after a few Q&A sessions with my dad, I started to understand it. And for the next 4 years, my fall nights were spent at football games. Every Friday afternoon we had a pep rally, and then my evening was spent on the sidelines bouncing around, trying to cheer our team to victory. It's no secret, we hardly ever won, but it was still a good time. And when I think about it now, those sure are sweet memories that I hope to live out as a parent one day.

Once I started going to Tech, I went to every single home football game come rain or shine. Usually it was hotter than hades, and I hated sitting in the student section, but the games were still fun. I loved the atmosphere, and I loved the excitement in the stands. And so I had a lot of memories attached to football season just like most everyone else, and two years ago I told myself I'd never be able to go to another football game again.

I had season tickets and my parents were bound and determined that I would go to the games. I was reluctant every week, but they managed to get tickets so they could go with me and we went together. We cheered Tech on, shared chicken finger and french fry baskets, and we began to make new football memories. I realized I could actually do it. I could keep going to games and I could enjoy them. Truth be told, I was enjoying them more than I ever had up until that point. I can't tell you how many games we won that season. I can't tell you who played what position. I can't even tell you the teams we played. And would it make a difference if I could? Football is just a game. I realize that not everyone sees it that way, but it is. Unless it is actually your job, it's a game.

When Aaron and I started dating I wondered how he felt about sports. To my surprise, he was not a sports addict. I was shocked and incredibly grateful at the same time. Thankful that when sports seasons rolled around, I wouldn't have to compete for his attention. Thankful that his mood each weekend wasn't dependent on whether or not his favorite team lost. And most of all, I was thankful that he appreciated sports yet he also saw them for what they were for any spectator. They were games.

I wonder how many of us can remember a particular sporting event but can't remember what our loved ones told us about their day. How many of us remember when a certain bowl, cup, or title was won but can't recall our own mother's birth date? How many of us have practically broken our necks to get to a game on time, but have blown off our friends when we initially told them we'd spend time with them? How many of us know more about college athletes than we do the people we work with day in and day out?

Well, we all have our thing. It may be sports, it may be fashion, cooking, or music. But sometimes we need to step back and realize that these events are just things, just occasions. And although I'm sure the Tech game was really fun to watch tonight, I'm grateful for the 5 hours I had in the car with my husband who was gracious to turn down the radio as I talked to him about my day. I'm grateful that we could drive to Dallas on a Friday night to enjoy some extra time together this weekend rather than having to put it on hold so we could stay home and watch the first game of the season. I'm looking forward to sitting in the stands next week to cheer on the Red Raiders. I'm looking forward to watching them for the rest of the season. But I'm really looking forward to the memories that we'll make more than the games themselves. If we win, great. If we don't, oh well. There will always be another football season, but I never know how much time I'll get spend with Aaron and I am more than grateful to be able to have this new season to make new memories as family.

#588 - For new seasons and new memories as the Davis family!

"I remember the days of old. I ponder all your great works and think about what you have done." - Psalm 143:5

Comments

Popular Posts