Reason #584

I have a love/hate relationship with this time of the year. Normally, I feel really sad to see summer go, but this year is one of the first years I haven't felt that way. I think have grown to love fall because Aaron and I really started to date, date in the fall and so I have a lot of good memories attached to fall.

I looked at everyone's back to school pictures on Facebook today. All the moms, teachers, and students were filled with excitement and nerves as a new school year is beginnings. I went back to work, just like I do everyday. Nothing changed for me, as every day basically looks the same when you work in an office. But as I drove to work today, I prayed for my mom as she met her new classroom of 2nd graders (bless her). I also prayed for my dad, who just started back to college. After 31 years of work and a few months of retirement, my dad made the decision to go back to school and begin a new career path. Last night, I told Aaron that I was nervous for him. I hoped that he would enjoy his classes. I hoped that he had good professors. I hoped that he didn't get lost or feel out of place, and I hoped that he had a good person to sit by in each class. Because doing something new is hard, especially when you're doing it by yourself. The good thing about college is that everyone is new, so everyone feels the exact same way.

I was really fortunate to have a built in friend when I started college. I never had to go anywhere by myself or be the new person alone. My cousin and I agreed to do everything together, which made the experience much easier. Plus, things aren't so scary when you have someone to go with you. But since I began college 8 years ago (that doesn't even seem possible), I've had to go through a lot of things by myself. Jobs, church, relationship changes, living arrangements, and vacations. Yet as I look back on each of these new ventures that I did on my own, I see how God was so faithful to place someone in my path who I was able to connect with. Someone who had similar interests and was encouraging and welcoming. Someone who I was able to develop a friendship with, and I realize that there really hasn't ever been a time that I've started anything on my own.

I think back to every single job I've ever started. Each time I felt nervous and afraid to be the new girl, the Lord made sure to have someone in place that would not only welcome me, but help me and befriend me. And when I was scared to step out into the single life by myself, the Lord made sure to bless me with girlfriends who encouraged me and brought a lot of sweet laughter and fun moments into my life. When I was afraid to live by myself, He made sure that I had a roommate to help me adjust so that I could actually do it. And even when I had those moments alone, feeling completely alone, I had a furry little creature who stuck right by my side. When I went to see the lawyer by myself for the first time, he made sure I had a phone call to encourage me as I drove over there. When I began going to church by myself, He blessed me with friends from college who included me and sat with me each week. And so every single situation I've had to face alone, I realize that I really never was alone. Because God was faithful each and every time to provide a friend, a fellow believer, to walk me through it. Each time, the Lord sent His people to encourage me, support me, and give me the courage I needed to keep going.

It's hard being the new girl, it really is. It's hard to step out on your own. Being alone means you are more vulnerable, but as God's children we are never alone. And that's the beauty of being in His family. God goes with us where ever we go, but He also plants us and sends us out to be there for one another. We weren't called to walk through life alone. We were called to encourage, support, and sharpen one another, and I praise the Lord for all of the people He has placed in my life that have done exactly that for me.

And so maybe you are in that season right now. Well, realize that you're not alone in feeling alone. And from experience, I've learned that the best way to deal with that is to make friends. Seek people out because they are probably waiting on the same thing you are. Take the first step and be brave. Because you never know how your life can change, or who will change it for the better, if you just keep trying to go it alone.  

 #584 - Because He has planted people along my path so that I've never had to be alone.

"Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other." - Romans 12:10

Comments

Popular Posts