Reason #569

Aaron and I went to see Texas, the musical, in Palo Duro Canyon last night. It was really good! A must see, I would say. It's very patriotic, and we left feeling proud to not only be Texans, but to be Americans. Texas people are definitely proud of their state, am I right? Anytime you go to a concert, or a large event, and the performer says something like "What's up Texas?" or "Do we have any Texans here tonight?" people go wild. We love to scream and yell and let everyone know we're from the greatest state. And so if you're not from Texas, you probably don't understand this mindset. That's okay, you don't have to. Hopefully, you are proud to be where ever you are from. If you're not, you can always move here. We've got plenty of space.

Anyway, the show ended with a patriotic tribute. The show members asked those in the crowd to stand if they had served or were currently serving our country. I was amazed at the number of men who stood. I often forget how many people have fought and are currently fighting for our freedom and protection day in and day out. And as Aaron and I left, we talked about what a blessing it is to live in America. My dad always says this is the best place in the world to live, and I would have to agree. But it's only that way because of the brave people who have fought to make it and keep it that way. And, I don't know about you, but nothing irritates me more than when people gripe about living in a place where freedom rings. In a country that is truly living the dream. Where we don't have to fear for our lives hour by hour. Where we can get an education, find help at every corner, have the best medicine in the world, say what we want and get away with it, wear what we'd like, go to church where we wish, work jobs, have solid homes and cars, and pretty much get to live the life of luxury compared to the rest of the world.

When Aaron and I were reading through Radical (which we finished last week... I know you're glad), we were shocked to find out that if you make over $10,000 a year, you are richer than 80-some-odd percent of the world. If you make over $50,000 a year, you are richer than 90-some-odd percent of the world. I bet you fall into at least one of those categories, don't you? And I bet you, like every other American, have a thing or two you'd like to change about the country. Well, here's the deal, no matter how bad it may seem to get, we still have it good. No matter how horrible the economy is, we're all basically rich. Even if you don't have a job, you probably still have a place to live, and I know that you probably don't go a day without eating. But I'm sure a large majority of you are like me. You live in a comfortable home, you have nice clothes, you eat at least 3 times a day, you keep yourself entertained and rarely do without, you are safe, you are healthy, and you are educated. And so really, do you have it that bad? It is really that terrible to live here?

We take things for granted and especially when they are done for us, don't we? Because let me tell you what, I am so thankful for the millions of men and women who have fought to keep me safe. I am beyond grateful that people are willing to die to keep me alive. People are willing to give up their life to make sure I can keep mine. I'll be honest with you, I'd have a real hard time dying for someone I didn't even know and especially if they weren't grateful about it. Maybe if I went down in history books, maybe if my named lived on and people sang my praises, I might give it a tiny thought. But most likely, I wouldn't gladly do it. I wouldn't sign myself up to be put in harm's way to make sure everyone else was okay. If you ask me, we really need to re-think how we view our homeland. As free as you are to live here, you are just a free to live somewhere else if you think it'd be better.

But doesn't this sound kind of like another person's story? Doesn't this sound identical to what Christ did for us? He willingly came to earth to die so that you and I could live. If we wanted to walk in true freedom, He made that possible for us. He lost His life so that we could find ours. He died for a whole bunch of people who were not only ungrateful for all He did then, but are ungrateful today. And why in the world people get mad about eternal life and freedom just boggles me. Why would you ever hate someone who took your punishment for you? Why would you dislike someone who endured your pain and torture so that you could live an abundant life if you chose to? It doesn't make sense does it? Yet so many of us do the same thing with the Lord as we do with our country. We gripe and we complain about how things should be done differently. We get mad because we can't have our way, yet all the while we forget that we have it so good. That really, if we got our way, we'd be going down in flames without a plea. Yet Jesus Christ, fully knowing that most of us would never appreciate the sacrifice He made on our behalf, did it anyway. Not for any other reason other than the fact that He loves us. That He cares for us. That He wants us to truly live, and live with Him forever. And as much freedom as you have to walk in relationship with Him, you have just as much freedom to walk away from Him.

I'm grateful to live in a nation where freedom rings. Even if the economy is so dismal and seems it may never turn around, I'm glad to be here. Even if I don't agree with every move our government makes, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I'm grateful for the people who are willing to fight to keep me safe. Who have lost their lives so that America could achieve what it has over its existence. But more than that, I am grateful for what Jesus Christ did for me. For the fact that He sealed my fate, that my eternal home is with Him, and that I can walk in freedom not only now, but forever.

#569 - Because He fought and died so that I could be free not only now but forever.

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." - Galatians 5:1

Comments

Popular Posts