Reason #587

This week has taken it's sweet time passing. I woke up Wednesday morning with a sore throat and I had a feeling it wasn't because I slept with the fan on. Today was a disaster, and after sneezing my head off, I decided I'd take some allergy medicine. Unfortunately, most allergy medicines have the same effect on me. And so about 30 minutes later, I found myself desiring to lay my head down. I was hoping no one would ask for my help because I was using all of my energy just to keep my eyes open. Thus, the sinus/allergy junk has found its way back to me. It appears to have started a quarterly trend. Therefore, I should be sick just in time for the holidays again this year. And so it's another night of Benadryl, but the upside is that I shouldn't have any trouble sleeping.

Some days I just wish I could get all parts of my life on one page. You know, have everything in sync. If I could somehow get all aspects of my life to cooperate at the same time, I'd have it made. If home, hair, health, work, relationships, finances, and spiritual walk could all line up, that'd be really nice. But it seems like if it's not one thing, it's another. And so today was one of those days where everything was out of whack. A day that has worn me out both coming and going.

It's on these days I'm reminded of my human frailty. Days where I am so out of control. And it's days like these that I seriously dislike. I am a girl of order. One who likes to be able to have a bit of a say in the things that affect me, but that wasn't the case today. And I realized that even if I said something, it probably wouldn't have made a difference at the moment. Plus, I was teetering on the line of whether or not to give my two cents because it could go either way and I certainly preferred one way over the other. And so today was one of those days where I just had to throw my hands up and say, "I don't know what I'm supposed to do." Is frustrating as that is, I realize that these moments come to remind me that a.) I don't have to figure life out and b.) I need to lean on the Lord.

I try to pray every morning when I drive to work, and this week I've had a lot to pray about. I've had a lot of girlfriends contacting me this week with really specific prayer requests because they, too, are in a similar position. They, too, are out of control. They are having to wait and see what happens because right now, no one really knows. And so they've sought prayer. The wisest thing anyone could do when they don't know what to do. And they are waiting on the Lord, trusting He will make known the path to take. Because, thank goodness, the Lord sees what's in front of us and He knows right where He's directing us. And so while it so often comes as a surprise to us, really it's coming at the time He has prepared.

Truthfully, I suppose this is every day life, isn't it? Because you never really know what you're going to face each and every day. You just wake up, hope for the best, and make an effort to do your best. And I guess when I look at it that way, I realize that every day is an opportunity to grow our faith. An opportunity to trust God. An opportunity to lay down our selfish desires, give up control, and let Him lead us in the right direction. Because no matter how crazy life seems, no matter how unorganized things might be, God's got it together regardless of whether or not we do. And the beautiful thing of it all is that when we don't know what else to do, we can just lean on Him and He'll keep us together.

#587 - Because He's got it together even when we don't.

"Because you are my helper, I sing for joy in the shadow of your wings. I cling to you; your strong right hand holds me securely." - Psalm 63:7-8

Comments

Popular Posts