Reason #801

One of my longest and dearest friends met me for lunch today. I'm not sure when we first met one another, so that just goes to show how long we've been friends. She is one of the most genuine, caring, authentic individuals I have ever met. She has such a sweet spirit and caring heart. She is one of those people who refreshes others, you know. After spending a little time with her, you leave feeling encouraged and loved. I've made a lot of really great friends over the years, but I am always thankful to have her. A friend who I can always count on. One who entered my life and has loyally stayed ever since.

The thing I really love about spending time with her is that she shares in the struggles and joys with me. The struggle of living every day life. Of being knocked down and learning to get back up again. The struggle of admitting your weaknesses and failures and your desperate, daily need for a Savior. The struggle of finding that niche, of the unknown, of the disappointments, and of reality. Because when you have a friend who shares in the struggle, you find comfort and relief. When you can show someone sides of you that aren't too pretty and they accept you, don't judge you, and don't use your lows to make them feel high, you've hit the friend jackpot. Never once have I wondered if she'd use my shared secrets against me. Never once did I believe that she rejoiced in my heartache and envied my victories. Because she understands the value and significance of long-term relationships. She gets that life is messy and hard. But she knows the source of hope and joy, and she knows how impossible life is without Him. She understands that although circumstances change, the value is in people and that value comes from Christ. And when you meet someone like that, when you befriend them, you are blessed by their genuine authenticity and their love for the Lord that so apparently pours through them.

Two hours and a chicken salad wrap later, we were ending our time together. A time that was set aside for catching up, yet turned into a time where we talked about the Lord. And although we've both been through a lot since our last visit, we talked about how much God has taught us. We talked about how we're trying to get through this stage of life, and what we're learning as we go. And I told her about how I find myself in seasons I thought I was through with. How I always think, "Man, I am glad that lesson is over with," only to find out I now will be learning the flip side of that lesson. I told her how hard it is to continuously be refined and that sometimes I wished I could take a year off. But we talked about how good it is to grow closer to God even if it is challenging. And I told her, "I am thankful that God is all things to all people."  And she said, "At all times."

God is all things to all people at all times. He is a comforter to those who need to be comforted. A provider for those who have nothing. A healer to the hurting, a friend to the lonely, a helper to the helpless, a mender to the broken. He is a father to the orphan, a shelter for the scared, a strong tower to the weak, a refuge for the weary. When you need it, what ever it is, He is there to meet that need. And when that need is met and a new one arises, He is there to meet that one, too. No matter what it is, no matter when it is, God is ready at all times. Ready to take care of His beloved child. Ready to carry her when she can't walk. Ready to give her courage when she feels afraid. Ready to steady her shaky feet on solid ground. Ready to lift her up when she falls. There's never a time God can't be what you need. Seek Him for who He is, and you will find He is all you need.

#801 - Because He is all things to all people at all times.

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." - Jeremiah 29:13

Comments

Popular Posts