Reason #818

Advice is always best when it is coming from one who has been through it. Of course, I'm pretty sure we're all notorious for throwing in our two cents even if we have no personal experience in such areas. That's the thing about humans. We're pretty confident we have it figured out all the time. Truth be told, that's hardly ever the case.

As you know, I've ever-so-slowly been reading through the bible in an attempt to finish it within the year. I have fallen a few weeks behind, so we'll see if I can catch up. The good thing is that sometimes it comes in handy when I do fall behind. It's hard to remember everything I've read thus far, but there will be those incredible moments when God will cross reference books for me and I get so excited about it. I've just wrapped up reading about King Solomon, and I tell you what, I learned a lot about him that I didn't know.

I knew Solomon was wise. In fact, I wrote about his wisdom in asking for God's wisdom a few weeks ago. I knew he was rich and famous and had it all. I knew he was David and Bathsheba's son and that he built God's temple. I knew that he wrote Ecclesiastes and Proverbs. Basically, I knew all the good things that Solomon accomplished. And sometimes, being covered in flesh and knowing about these great people of God can discourage a simple heart like mine. Sometimes I think, "Man, if I could just be a big hitter like Solomon, but I'm too much of a mess up to be anything like that." And so, to be honest, I am grateful for the moments that I get to see these "big hitter" be human like me and, despite the fall, still be used in big ways by God.

The moral of the story here is that we should listen to and obey God. Solomon tells us this again and again in Proverbs, but I just assumed this was divine wisdom speaking. Actually, it's divine wisdom combined with a dose of humbling-life experience-wisdom. During Solomon's reign, "God clearly instructed his people not to intermarry with other nations because the women they married would lead them to worship their Gods." (1 Kings 11:2) But Solomon, feeling high and mighty at this point, chose to ignore this piece of divine wisdom and married those foreign women anyway. Ladies, if we think we don't have a powerful influence on the people with whom we live, we are wrong. And "Sure enough they led his heart away from the Lord." (1 Kings 11:3) Solomon had just finished building God's temple and next thing you know, his heart is turned from God. And so God was angry about this, just as any parent would be with a disobedient child, and the punishment was served. If only Solomon had listened and used wisdom, the future may have looked a little different. However, God is always faithful to teach us through these experiences, and if we want to make the most of it, we learn our lesson, share what we've learned, and let others learn from our mistakes so they can avoid the same heartache.

"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble." (Proverbs 13:20) God told him this, but Solomon had to learn this the hard way. Because "Fear of the Lord is the foundation of wisdom." (Proverbs 9:10), but "The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good." (Psalm 14:1) And when Solomon surrounded himself with fools, those who say there is no God, his heart was turned. If he had surrounded himself with the wise, the ones who fear the Lord, the outcome would have been different. And, more than anything, it would have pleased the Lord. And so Solomon learned the hard way, even though he knew the right way, but isn't that how we all do it?

Well, I just thank the Lord that He uses our mistakes for His glory. That He picks us up when we fall down, and that nothing is wasted when we commit our lives to Him. That's right, even our mistakes can become blessings not only for us but for those around us. And so that's why we share. That's why we don't hide in shame. Because God's writing a story in our lives and it is a story that can change lives. A story that will show God's forgiveness, redemptive power, amazing grace, and divine intervention. A reminder that no one is perfect, that we're helpless without Him, yet if we stay faithful to Him, He will continue to do great things through us.

#818 - Because He can use our mistakes for His glory.

"Help us, God our Savior, for the glory of your name; deliver us and forgive our sins for your name’s sake." - Psalm 79:9

Comments

Popular Posts